Thursday, November 11, 2010

Red for Blood


This morning I saw in Mary in Africa's Blog a wonderful photo from World War I - with poppies. Oh, maybe wonderful is a poor adjective for such a photo. When reading her blog I remembered that we used to wear little paper poppies, maybe for Memorial Day, which in the United States is dedicated to the remembrance of war dead. Maybe Veteran's Day. I don't know, I haven't seen one of those poppies for many years. They still do it in other parts of the world.

I am so grateful today that I get to pick up the phone and call my son, three miles down the road, and wish him a happy Veteran's Day. I get to wish his wife a happy Veteran's Day. I get to call my brother and thank him for what he left in Vietnam - and never got back. I get to post things on facebook to nieces and nephews and others. For others, I can say a prayer, but I can thank God that they aren't the prayers that are closely accompanied by tears. I will remember a cousin who never returned from WWII, but this does not break my heart, I never even knew him. Many mothers prayers are covered in tears today. I can say my heart is joined to yours, but I know I don't know your pain.

Also grateful that I got to go to a meeting this morning. I sat and wept as I listened to a man share. You know, for some of us (me included) this deal does not come easy. We do not get well over night. It takes decades. We get well by millimeters, not yards and miles. We measure our progress in tiny details. So, he was talking about some tiny progress that probably sounded like nothing to others, but I knew that he was talking about progress of earthquake proportion in his life. Oh, it is so beautiful to watch these things. It is so beautiful to meet these occasional kindred souls in AA meetings.

Grateful for a day off work in the middle of the week.

Bamboo knitting needles, a warm house on a snowy day, a good friend who has invited me to lunch, another who has invited me to dinner, sober life, no matter what.

It is good. I thank God for it.

8 comments:

Syd said...

I think that the American Legion was the one that sells the poppies. I can remember my uncle wearing his.

There were lots of tears today at the noon meeting. Much sharing about love, loss, and losing it, with some solutions thrown in the mix. Thankfully, I prefer the solutions. But it isn't always easy to see them, even when they are right in front of our noses.

Pam Jarnagin said...

We do not get well over night. It takes decades. We get well by millimeters, not yards and miles. We measure our progress in tiny details... Oh, it is so beautiful to watch these things. It is so beautiful to meet these occasional kindred souls in AA meetings.
Amen, MC.
PS: I think the poppies thing is a reference to Flanders Field (??). You know, the poem that begins, In Flanders Field the poppies blow... See article at Wikipedia for more info: wikipedia/InFlandersFields

Andrew said...

The Canadian Legion still sells the crepe poppies that Mary was talking about on her blog.

They go on sale mid October and you see a lot of people wearing them. The sale of these benefit the veterans funds.

Unknown said...

I remember the poppies. I was always so proud to wear one as a young girl. I remember my Grandad today..I miss him. I am grateful he rests at Arlington where I can go when I am pulled. You day sounds peaceful.

♥namaste♥

dAAve said...

I like that you had the day ooff. I'm sure you used it to the fullest even if you did nothing.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am reading your blog while drinking wine and deciding whether to go to my first meeting tomorrow. Please know that you have given me hope. I am so sorry that you are not able to share what is bothering you now because you are an inspiration. Thank you.

Mary Christine said...

Anonymous,
Please let me know if you decided to go to the meeting. I hope you do. Remember, they are all alcoholics there - just like you!
MC

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

Love you Mary Christine! Thank you!