Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Thirty Years


Tomorrow I shall celebrate my 30th sober anniversary, my sober birthday.  Today, I somberly recall that it was thirty years ago today that I took my last drink of alcohol (please dear God).

A few years ago I could have probably told you how this might have happened to a humble drunk like me.  However, the years go by and I become less and less sure of everything.

I am only absolutely sure of one thing:

The Grace of a Loving God.

By the grace of God, I stumbled upon Alcoholics Anonymous, and there I was cared for by a bunch of others in the same boat as I.  Somehow we helped each other.  Oh, I know there are books written about how this happens, but it is a mystery to me.  We can break it down into steps and formulas, but it will forever remain a mystery and a miracle to me.

How else could the blind lead the blind, each of us getting to somewhere we never even knew existed?

We can talk about the intricacies of the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous all day long, but without the Grace of God, it is all mechanics.   Oh, it is all quite necessary, but it is not the miracle.

Thank you dear Lord for these last thirty years of life, a full life, lived sober.  Thank you that my children do not remember me drunk.  Thank you that my grandchildren have never seen me drink.  Thank you that for the last thirty years I have been present in the lives of my family, and my friends.  Thank you that people trust me now.  Thank you that I can now be a worker among workers, a friend among friends, a neighbor among neighbors.

I will never stop thanking God for this incredible gift.
 


6 comments:

Annette said...

That anyone ever finds their way out of addiction and into recovery is a miracle. A beautiful miracle. Everytime I go into an AA speaker mtg and hear those stories, I cry through the whole thing. lol Like a big dork! It is so so beautiful to me and I just feel something there. Happy birthday to you Mary. I am so happy that you live in the grace of a God who loves you so so very much.

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Congratulations, Mary Christine; thirty years is a huge deal. I made it Feb 26, 2014 and I remember 1984 like it was just last week. Love given and reciprocated, lives touched and hugged, children nurtured from infancy to full growth and the little ones I am still loving into toddlerhood reinforce the truth and reality of sober living.

Thank you for sharing your journey and that which you have learned over the decades.

Syd said...

Much to be grateful for. Thirty years is a lot of ODATs. Thanks for sharing some of those years here.

Unknown said...

Happy sober birthday, Mary! Your story will surely encourage others to live a happier, sober life. I'm also grateful that you've shared your journey here in your blog. It'll be a great reference and source of courage for those who are just starting their journey to sobriety. Have a great day! :D

Donnie Benson @ Midwest Institute for Addiction

Furtheron said...

30 years is an impressive milestone... you've been sober 1 year longer than I've been married! Congratulations

Freedom_Man said...

Well done you. No mean feat no matter what. This is amazing. If you're ever in the North of Ireland look up If you ever find your self in the North of Ireland check out. https://belfastaa.com