Sunday, October 16, 2005

Sunday Morning Hike

View of the front range of the Rocky Mountains from Green Mountain

View of Red Rocks Amphitheater from Green Mountain, Colorado
What the heck has this got to do with being sober? Everything. Today, on a Sunday morning, I woke up with energy and happiness enough to head outdoors and take a beautiful hike. It is a nice hike - only 2 minutes from my driveway to the mountain - and it doesn't feel intimidating on a Sunday morning. I have gone up there on week days when I have been alone and that is not the best feeling. I came around a bend once and came face to face with a big deer. Now, I know that deer aren't dangerous, but that rack looked very impressive when I was alone with this creature on a mountain.
I am a 53 year year old woman who likes to hike, bike, run, and swim for fun. For a really great time each summer I participate in a triathlon! When I was 32 years old I was a dying alcoholic. What a miracle that I get to live a healthy life today. Of course, when I came to AA, living a healthy life was not really high on my list of priorities. I just wanted to stop feeling the horrible way I felt.
But what I have gotten from Alcoholics Anonymous has been beyond my wildest expectations.
All I did was follow a few simple instructions:
Don't drink
Don't think
Go to meetings
Read the big book
Get a sponsor.
And most of all: Keep Coming Back.
As always, I welcome your comments....

No comments: