Monday, May 08, 2006

Monday in May

"Not many people can truthfully assert that they love everybody. Most of us must admit that we have loved but a few; that we have been quite indifferent to the many. As for the remainder-- well, we have really disliked or hated them.

We AA's find we need something much better than this in order to keep our balance. The idea that we can be possessively loving of a few, can ignore the many, and can continue to fear or hate anybody at all, has to be abandoned, if only a little at a time.

We can try to stop making unreasonable demands upon those we love. We can show kindness where we had formerly shown none. With those we dislike we can at least begin to practice justice and courtesty, perhaps going out of our way at times to understand and help them."
Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 95

Monday morning. Getting ready for a run. Then I will go to work. I will try to do the above in all my dealings this week. Maybe I will get to see Big Sky Maack this week as he drives through Denver?

7 comments:

Jackson said...

I appreciate that reading. I've been making too many demands upon my friends recently, acting selfish. And there are, I have to confess, a lot of people I simply ignore for some reason. I have these odd stereotypes.

Most of us are lucky to enough true friends to count on one hand, if even that. To have one is a blessing.

ok i pass glad to be here grateful etc etc lol

(I enjoy your blog! I really do like visiting here and reading your day to day)

dAAve said...

yeah thanks

I sincerely do not hate anyone. There are people who do things I do not like, but I don't have to hate them for it. I actually pursued that attitude well before AA, when I was still drinking. I instinctly knew it was necessary - for me.

Sunshine said...

"Possessively loving of few....." sounds all too familiar. Thanks for the reminder. May we both 'show kindness where we had formerly shown none.....' etc this week.

have a great run.

Trudging said...

I always enjoy reading this passage. I think indifference is my middle name.

Gooey Munster said...

Abandoning old ideas is key to growth in recovery. We are so stubborn sometimes, a curse and a gift!

Hope you had a great run, what a way to start off the morning.

Petutes said...

Thnkyou I like this reading that's what I needed to hear. It sounded like me , thanks for helping me in my sobriety.

Tennessee Santa said...

I was told I had to love everyone. I do not have to like them. But I have prayed for a few to be loved away from me.