Sunday, June 28, 2009

I get to do stuff

My medal for completing the triathlon today.  I earned this one!
For this race, they not only marked your arms and thighs with your bib number, but they marked the back of your calf with your age.  I declined to have this done yesterday, but this morning, I thought - heck yes!  I am 57 years old and participating in a triathlon!  I am happy to claim that.  

This race was HARD.  The water was cold which necessitated the use of a wetsuit.  Swimming in a wetsuit is like swimming in a body sized girdle.  I think if you are stick thin that might feel good, but it is tricky for others.  As I was swimming, there were two separate occasions, with two separate women, where I needed to stop and stay with women who were in trouble and flag down some help.  I had to do what I learned how to do in AA - just be with someone and just let them know someone is there, and someone cares.  They both couldn't breathe because of their wetsuits.  My swim took about 15 minutes longer than it normally does, but I was grateful to be able to be there for those women who needed a hand.  

If I would have gone out there this morning just to show off my athletic prowess, the day would have to be considered a dismal failure.  But before I left the house this morning, I prayed for God to show me how I could be of service to Him and my fellows, and He did!  

It is also very nice to hang out with women my age in the transition area.  There aren't many of us at a triathlon.  It is super fun to hang out before and after the race and also as we may catch each other on the transitions.  

The other thing?  It is so nice to see women's breasts.  Most women who do triathlons wear tri suits, which are like swimming suits,  and then when we get out of the water, we just get on the bike with that and a shirt or not - I always put a skirt and a shirt over my tri suit.  Anyway, so here are all these women without their usual breast hardware, a.k.a. bras.  And do you know that real women's breasts look virtually nothing like those big round hard things that protrude just south of the collarbones of actresses, models, and other people who like to show them off?   Just an observation from a triathlon.... 

I am grateful to be a sober woman who gets to do stuff.  I get to be happy to let someone put a "57" on my leg.  As I passed another woman on the run portion, she shouted out to me "AGE ROCKS!"  and I agree!  

Life is so good.  



15 comments:

~Christina~ said...

What a great day, you got to help others in the most important way. Saving lives. Congrats, and congrats on your confidence of your age and abilities!

One Prayer Girl said...

I'm so glad to hear you completed the triathlon, were able to help others, and you feel good about it.

I give you a lot of credit for keeping in shape and participating.

Good for you,
PG

Lou said...

This was cute. When I first started doing mammograms, I was astounded there were so many different sizes and shapes of breasts!

Congrats on helping others and still finishing.

steveroni said...

Hi Mary! Sounded like a successful day, to me.

"before I left the house....I prayed for God to show me how I could be of service to Him and my fellows, and He did!"

Funny, I also do this. I'm in such a daily habit, it would be hard to NOT do it. Almost identical prayer, too.

And it's a prayer that is answered every single day now--it took practice for me. After all these years, I started (again) couple months ago...
S

steveroni said...

Leg (calf) looks like a Heintz Food Commercial...Heintz 57 Varieties?

Sorry 'bout that -grin!
S

Ed G. said...

Congrats on finishing and being useful - you were doubly blessed.

I always notice the breasts but it's probably not the same thing...

...I didn't think so...

Anyway, blessings and aloha...

Scott W said...

I do sometimes notice breasts. But I try not to make a habit of it.

I did notice Ana Paquin's the other night on True Blood. They were perky! But honestly, I prefer Jason Stackhouse!

Tall Kay said...

Congratulations! What an amazing day you have had. Right where God wanted you to be. I'm inspired to do more exercise...maybe tomorrow!

Pammie said...

I'm so very very proud of you Mary darlin'.

Trailboss said...

I can't imagine doing that and I am younger than you, but not by much. My number would have been 51.

Syd said...

So glad that you enjoyed it. And I'm glad that you were there to help the women who were in trouble. That is practicing the principals in all affairs of life.
Regarding breasts, I prefer natural.

dAAve said...

That is some good stuff and YES!, you should be very proud to put 57 on any part of your body. It's what God gave you to work with.

I will not, however, comment on the breast issue.

Mary Christine said...

Thanks Daave, discretion is the better part of valor...

Gin said...

Congrats! I am glad you were there to help those two women. You were right where you needed to be!

garden-variety drunk said...

congrats on finishing another triathlon. i'm totally impressed because i only do triathlons and marathons in my mind. you could totally run, bike and swim circle around me and i'm like half your age. :)