Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What it was like: Year Twenty-three

Its kind of weird to be writing here about the years when I have been writing every single day in this blog.  Nothing much has changed in the last couple of years.  

In year twenty-three, I was plugging through having my son in Iraq.  It was an unbelievable challenge for me. I started going to meetings a lot - sometimes 2 a day.  I was going to so many meetings, I ended up sponsoring 7 women at the same time.  Which just about drove me out of my mind.  The way I sponsor is a bit too time intensive to do this with 7 people, 6 of whom were in their first year and doing the steps for the first time.  

We had the winter of insane snow.  I hurt my back by falling on my driveway the very first day of the blizzard.  

I was running a lot!  I realized I could train to run a half-marathon.  And I did so.  I ran my first half-marathon in May of 2007.   It was a tremendous thing for me.

I was thrilled to be able to sign up for a four year biblical school.  It was something that I was able to commit to and I was pretty happy about that.  

OK, I am going to transcribe what is written in my birthday journal because it sums it up:

"The overriding feeling this year is gratitude for a pretty big chunk of my life lived sober.  I raised my kids sober. I got my education sober.  I started my career in healthcare sober.  My grandchildren have never seen me drink.  My kids don't remember me drunk.  It is a miracle.  This last year?  K. in Iraq - that's been hard.  Thank God I did what I know how to do and jumped into AA with both feet.  Thank God.  I ran a half-marathon in May and will do another in October.  My triathlon is next weekend.  I start Biblical School in August.  I am very excited about that!  Really, a very very good year.  Thank you Lord."


6 comments:

steveroni said...

(She wrote) "Thank You, Lord"

...and "Thank you, Mary Christine!"

Sobriety CAN be fun--and free--and good!

Ed G. said...

Thank you, and thank the Lord.

Blessings and aloha...

Gin said...

I'm glad year 23 was a great year for you. You can really tell in your last entry that you meant it. Wonderful!

Syd said...

It sounds like you are in a good place. Nothing can be wrong with that. Thanks MC.

Lou said...

I know that sense of accomplishment from completing your first half marathon. The feeling enhances all the other areas of your life.

You can really be proud of still running..I didn't know you had suffered so many injuries.

Tall Kay said...

Your overflowing heart is such a gift to relish. I want everything you have...on the inside. And 23 years of sobriety too, one day at a time.

I just realized we have to wait until next month to have your birthday party! I was thinking you were counting down from 25 days to your birthday. Let's start planning the biggest virtual party EVER! I have sooo enjoyed these posts.