Monday, June 29, 2009

Some photos I didn't blog about....




I am technically challenged tonight - so instead of having the caption of the photo just underneath the photo, I will bunch them up here.  

My daughter and I went out for pizza one Friday night and on the way home (one mile from my house), I looked over as I was driving and saw that elk!  I thought I was seeing things!  It was humungous!  It was gorgeous and looked like a statue.  I pulled over and started taking pictures.  After a while, I noticed that there was a whole line of cars behind us, all with arms with cell phones hanging out of the windows - taking pictures.  It was really something.  

My daughter and I (oh, it is so nice to write that phrase) were at an AA Founder's Day picnic.  It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon, but we are in a severe weather pattern and beautiful can turn strange very quickly.  Some guy was standing and said "look, there is a funnel cloud!"  I looked and didn't see it - but I looked a minute longer and saw the most amazing thing up in the sky.  That is a photo of the first one.  There were three funnel clouds in all as we stood there, getting pounded with wind and rain.  And, being a wonderful mother, setting a wonderful example for my daughter, I stood out in this crazy weather taking pictures with my cell phone, along with my daughter and a whole lot of other nutty sober drunks.  It was scary, but oddly exciting.   It was a wonderful day.

    Parenthetical:  what a miraculous thing to attend an AA picnic with my daughter.  She knew more people than I did!  And there were some people who said hello to both of us and then found out I am her mother - the shock!  and then the recognition that "Gee!  This makes sense!"  And to sit with her and her ex and eat lunch - all of us sober.  What a miracle.  I could never have anticipated 10 years ago when they first got together that I would some day relish the sober company of those two.  I truly love that guy I thought was the worst nightmare that ever darkened my door 10 short years ago!

Two roses from my garden.  In a tiny vase that was brought to me by a beau from Prague.  I love roses and I love that tiny vase.

One of my peony bushes.  I LOVE peonies.  My mother had them.  And I have them.  

And finally, the dreaded wetsuit!  I returned it this morning.  I was happy to hand it back!

So, this is just some of the stuff that has been happening while I have been writing about the past.  

12 comments:

dAAve said...

I like the current better.

steveroni said...

What a nice, easy blog to read...none of the frightening histrionics of abuse, and chaotic living of (some of our) earlier years in sobriety.

This is really a fun blog, Mary.

Scott W said...

Returned a worn wet suit? Is that legal?

It's so nice to read about you and your daughter.

Mary Christine said...

When you rent the wetsuit, they prefer that you return it.

Tall Kay said...

What a wonderful story of hope with your daughter. Beyond our wildest dreams, and it just keeps gettin better! The elk is awesome!

One Prayer Girl said...

Thanks for the pictures - truly stunning - and your commentary.

PG

Gin said...

Beautiful pictures. The peonies are gorgeous. My mother had gardenia's and I have them too.

Pammie said...

I used to look fabulous in my wet suit, now and I can only get it up to my knees! LOL
I love the pictures!

Ed G. said...

Lovely pics - thanx for sharing...

Syd said...

I remember the peonies in my mother's garden in Virginia. Big pink ones. Nice photos. The elk is magnificent. Lots of happy things here.

Shannon said...

you know... I so know what you mean... lol

Lou said...

I was forced to wear a wet suit on a kayaking trip on Lake Superior.. that thing was a real chore to get on and off!

And I did wonder where it had
been before;(