Monday, October 13, 2008

Columbus Day

Yesterday I took a lovely 5 mile run.  My time was good and I felt good.  As I ran, I saw many beautiful sights, running along a trail in the foothills is beautiful any time of the year, but I find it particularly so in the autumn.  The sight above really struck a chord with me.  I am not sure why.  I stopped to look at those leaves stuck in the fence.  Each cottonwood leaf is individually knotted onto the metal.  I imaged a couple standing in the parking lot the night before - maybe breaking up... maybe one of them is picking up leaves and tying them onto the fence in an effort to maintain his or her exposure... maybe... who knows?

I have the day off today, which I think is just wonderful.  Most people are at their jobs.  It is my 4th day off of work in a row, and that is really really good.  I needed this time off.  

This morning I went to church, and then I went into work just to pick up my work laptop.  I realized that I don't need to purchase Office for Mac in order to work at home - I have a laptop at work which can just as easily come home with me.  So, I will do some work this afternoon.  Working while sitting on your sofa and listening to Cistercian Monks chant is very different from sitting at a desk in your office, wearing uncomfortable clothing.  

After the meeting on Saturday, I stopped at Lowe's and got a gallon of paint so that I could paint my bathroom.  I painted it about a year and a half ago.  I hated the color almost from the moment I painted it.  Now I have a color I really really like.  I did that on Saturday night.  

You know, I need time off sometimes in order for the spaghetti of my mind to straighten out a bit.  I can't go 18 hours a day, collapse into bed at night and get up in the morning and do it all again, and still be able to think straight.  

It has been very very good for me to have these 4 days off.   I need to find a way to incorporate more rest time into my busy schedule.    I will do that!  

Have a great Monday everyone.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I am hungry for speghetti.

steveroni said...

Thank you for that very last line, Mary. My mind had programmed today as Wednesday. Maybe *I* need some rest...

For me, retirement is a more busy time of life than the old daily grind (which was never really a 'grind'!). Funny, how NOT having to be always somewhere, makes me want to be everywhere, always.

So I'm very happy today is Monday. It gives me two extra days this week to stay sober, and hopefully be able to help God help someone!

J-Online said...

How wonderful that you were able to enjoy 4 days off! You're like the energizer bunny that keeps going and going and going. It amazes me!

dAAve said...

Now I'll need to see that paint job.
I'm glad you may be able to think straight. I haven't ever done that.

Scott W said...

What color did you paint?

Zanejabbers said...

Energizer Bunny? You have a drum?

Shadow said...

those leave on the fence are something special. i wonder too what the story is...

hope your monday was as peaceful as it start out.

Syd said...

It sounds great to have 4 days off in a row. I can't keep going with little sleep either. And most weeks, I don't get as much as I need.