Wednesday, October 29, 2008

RTY


As I looked at a couple of blogs this morning and tried to post comments, I found myself staring at my keyboard without a thought in the world about what to write.  I noticed for the first time in my life that if you are staring blankly at a keyboard, the letters in the middle mix themselves up and it looks like the word "TRY".  

Tonight I am in a race.  A race on trails at night.  With spooky things thrown in for fun.  For me, I am spooked enough when I run in this park in the daylight... there are always animals about.  I tend to have run-ins with animals more than the average person.  My friend is running the race with me, and we will both have head lamps on.  That should help the fear factor.  I am looking forward to the race.

This morning as I read Syd's post about injuries and pain, I was struck by something.  He has lots of pain.  I can see that.  The tone of the comments were "take care of yourself," "honor your body," etc.  I just want to say Thank God that Syd is sailing and rowing and doing stuff.  I think the pain of a sedentary life is so much worse than the pain that comes as a result of fully living, fully participating in life.  An x-ray of my neck looks like a frankenstein monster, complete with bone grafts and titanium rods, I have had a doctor tell me he can't believe I am even able to walk, let alone run.  People don't understand why I continue to run... sometimes I really can barely walk...and sometimes it hurts like hell.  But!  I am not taking antidepressants, I am not living on pain killers. I am not wearing magnets and TENS devices.  I am living with the body God gave me, to the best of my ability.  

Sometimes things that hurt really help me.  Working the steps sure wasn't a picnic.  It didn't feel good all the time.  Being a member of Alcoholics Anonymous isn't always fun, it doesn't always feel good.  Doing the right thing often feels much worse than doing the expedient thing.  But feeling good isn't really the point, is it?  

I am so grateful that I get to walk through pain and hurt and difficulty to be a fully alive and sober human being.  

8 comments:

Lou said...

In my job I see the outcome of sedentary on health every day. Yet these people do not seem to understand the cause & effect. Sedentary=sick=poor quality of life. Your analogy with AA is spot on. Changes don't just magically happen.

Scott W said...

A Boris Karloff kind of Frankenstein or a Herman Munster kind of Frankenstein?

J-Online said...

Be careful on your run. I hate scary things.

I love that you get up and do so much even when in pain.

Pammie said...

I don't like you running at night. That said...kick some butt.
My mothers most favorite activity in the whole wide world is sitting on the couch. DRIVES ME CRAZY.
I'm glad you can work thru the pain but I wish with all my heart that you didn't have any.

Trailboss said...

Most of the time the right thing to do is the hardest thing to do. Such is life.

dAAve said...

Being the best you can be. That's the ticket.

Akannie said...

I know what you mean, MC...they said I would never walk again...people who know me are constantly in awe of how much I do, but I think--what was I supposed to do? Roll over and play dead??? And when chronic pain is your BFF, you HAVE to look it dead in the eye, and say--Not this time, buster, not this time...

Good luck in your nighty-race.

Syd said...

Thanks MC. I know my limits in most things. But taking care of myself means that I live my life and not sit by the sidelines watching it go past. Run that race and keep on running. You are a great person MC.