Thursday, April 30, 2009

Thursday Evening


You know by Thursday evening, I am usually really tired.  Tonight is no exception.  I intend to go to bed really early and get up really early and go to church on my way to work tomorrow.

I am tired of the way my workplace has changed due to the threat of pandemic flu.  I am tired of thinking about this.  And you all can say it is a bunch of hype all you want, but this could get really really ugly, really really quick.  Or it may not get ugly this round, but come back in a couple of months and really wreak havoc.   My hands are taking a beating from all the washing and purell usage.

Today my daughter and I went to lunch.  At noon on a Thursday afternoon, this shopping center was all but empty.  We were literally the only people in the restaurant.  We overheard a conversation between two waitresses, discussing where they were going to apply for jobs.  We both laughed when we heard one tell another "yeah, but they make you take a drug test!" and the other one said "Oh." Like - well, too bad, that one is out!  

I have no kids this weekend.  I wish the weather was going to be better, I would head on out to the Western Slope and visit with my sponsor.  But the weather is supposed to be bad - again - and I am not up for driving across the Continental Divide in uncertain weather.  I have done that too many times in my life.  Maybe I will find a way to relax and enjoy myself this weekend?  It could happen!  I have social events to attend both Friday and Saturday evenings.  One at a sponsee's house, and one at a fellow member's house for a function my group holds once a month (I had it last month).  

Sorry for my gloomy outlook tonight.  I can still thank God that I am sober today, and I will ask Him for another day tomorrow... hope you join me.

13 comments:

Pammie said...

I want everything to be OK before I get on an airplane in a few weeks for Denver.

Mary Christine said...

I don't blame you for that Pam. I haven't bought my tickets for my summer vacation for the same reasons.

Scott W said...

I am just now getting around to reading blogs tonight. I am tired.

The Maven said...

We have a lot of Purel in the Mavenmobile right now. I try not to get paranoid about the whole thing, but at the same time I figure some hand sanitizing after a trip to the grocery store with a toddler might not be such a bad idea...

Enjoy your weekend off!

steveroni said...

Mary, I enjoyed the "waitress conversation, about drug testing.

Heard two great speakers tonight, both nuns. You may know them Sister Maurice, sober 38 years, and her Alanon, Sister Rose. Just terrific! Almost too funny though, but yet serious. This is on Atlantic Ocean...beach meeting in morning at 7AM. This is Cocoa Beach.


An old friend finally posted today that he is OK. Told him I'd let you know. DOn't know if he saw my comment.

dAAve said...

I don't see you as gloomy. The flu is a real concern. Just the facts, Maam.
Maybe you can just kinda relax at home, by yourself. Enjoy your new floor.

Anonymous said...

It's pretty sad that the government has to make a public announcement to people to wash their hands and stay home if they are sick with a fever. I am glad I am off school, it never ceases to amaze me how many people fore go hand washing in the restroom! YUCK! They did say however that there is no threat of catching the virus from fruits and vegetables, at this time.
Sounds like a good weekend to kick back and relax.

Shannon said...

eh its not so gloomy MC, just is what it is
have a great weekend and I am hoping the swine flu doesnt reak havoc

Trailboss said...

I have always been one to wash my hands but I do find myself singing the Happy Birthday song to make sure I soap em' up for 15 seconds. I can't imagine what it must be like to work in the medical industry during all of this. Can't be fun. I don't think our vice president did much to help folks feel better about it all. But, President Obama did a fine job addressing it, directly to the point as he usually does.

One Drunk to Another said...

Reality is a little gloomy these days. God bless.

Mary Christine said...

I don't think the government's job is to make us "feel better" - I am grateful that Joe Biden had the cojones to tell the truth. Sorry that it got spun later. "what he meant to say." yeah right.

steveroni said...

But, Hey Mary! The government is giving me money, $250.00 in about five weeks, Isn't that wonderful? It's what, less than .70 daily?

But WAIT! Hold on! Wasn't that MY MONEY in the first place? Why do the govt not say outright that they are simply returning my overage, my own earnings. I really still just do not understand this crap!

Syd said...

I hope that the flu is not going to be bad. I'm enjoying being away from work. It's a relaxing time for me.