Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Four Years Ago...

I am so devoid of ideas this morning, I thought I would take a look back at what I was writing about four years ago on this date.

It really was a shock to read that I had just taken my little cat Minerva to the cat shelter. It was so sad.

So, I will reprint it here:










From March 2006:
My sponsee just left. She comes over most Monday nights and we read the big book. Tonight we were just talking. Out of nowhere, my cat attacked her. She scratched her eyeball, lower eyelid (the entire length of the eye), nose, and cheek. J. had blood dripping off her face. Oh my God. I cannot have a cat that does stuff like this.

A little background. Minerva (the cat) was adopted by me on January 8, 2005. On April 23, 2005, she was in my backyard with me as I was painting the fence. She was on a harness and leash because there are wild animals around here that would enjoy a snack of kitten. Because I was painting the fence, the gate to my back yard was open, and the next thing I knew I heard a ruckus. A pit bull was in my back yard attacking this little defenseless kitten. I stood and screamed and threw things at the dog to no avail. I screamed so much that I lost my voice for over a week. My neighbor ran over and actually dragged the dog off my cat. Another neighbor came over and drove me and Minerva to the local vet. While another cadre of neighbors walked the dog around until they found his owner. (I love my neighbors.) My cat had some pretty serious injuries, and had to stay in the cat hospital for 3 days. The dog owner was very responsible and paid the bill and got rid of his dog.

However, my cat has never been right since then. I thought in time she would get more secure and be safer. But tonight I realized that she is not going to be OK. I cannot have a cat that will do something like this.

I am pretty freaked out about this. The sight of my sponsee with blood dripping from her face is something that I will not soon forget. I hope to God that those wounds heal without any infection.

I will call the vet tomorrow and get her advice as to where to go from here.

Please say a prayer for J. if you can.

Thanks sober bloggers, you guys are the best.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
postscript 2010, I did call the vet -she suggested a cat behavioralist - I was not inclined to do something like that. I still miss Minerva. J. is still my sponsee, she had no lasting injury from that cat attack, thank God. And we're both still sober!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was very, very sad.

Carverlane said...

This weekend I was missing Pam and went to her blog to see if she had changed her mind...NOPE! It was gone! Thank goodness I had the chance to print up her first few months of posts, so now I can enjoy those when I need a "Pammie fix". Then I figured I would look at your early posts...and that's how I know about Minerva. So sad.

Kim from sAn Antonio

dAAve said...

I had forgotten about that.
About 10 years ago my Mom kept my cat while I was out of the country. After just a few days, the cat got outside and was killed by 2 neighborhood dogs.

I'll stay sober today too.

Ed G. said...

Wow - what an ordeal and example of responsible sober behavior.

Thanx for sharing this - it's good to remember where and what we've grown from.

Blessings and aloha...

Julianne said...

Reminds me of Joey, a cocker spaniel we had. Agressive little fellow that tried to take a chunk out of my baby girl (she was 11 then) when she tried to stop a fight between him and Samson, the other cocker. Joey was "her" baby. But...ultimately...sigh. I had to protect MY baby. One of the heardest things I've ever had to do.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Such a reminder of how much life can turn on a dime, both for your sponsee and your cat. Lot to be grateful for!

Syd said...

A sad thing to have happened. I'm hoping that Minerva was adopted out or went to a feline refuge. I'm glad that your sponsee was okay. Animals react sometimes out of instinct and survival mode is strong--just like for us Homo sapiens.

Mary LA said...

I had to spend years with a traumatised boerbul dog who had fear-aggression problems. Heartbreaking.

Scott M. Frey said...

that's quite a story MC, wow!