Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Back to the Regular World

This will probably be my last picture from my race - at least for a while.

I am back to my own place in the sun. Back to my own home. I will be back to my own office this morning. I am grateful for all of this.

I need to settle into a life that doesn't involve training for a marathon. That has been my focus for so long that I am on guard for a bit of an emotional crisis later this week. That sounds negative, but I know myself pretty well. I have had these minor melt-downs in the weeks following half-marathons. I am not sure what will happen in the week following something as momentous (to me at least) as a marathon.

My daughter (the non-alcoholic) called last night and wanted to hear all about the race. She is registering for a marathon that will take place next October 18. I had told her I would do it with her. I told her yesterday that I will be her number 1 cheerleader and support crew, but I will not do another marathon. I am glad I did the one I did, and I encourage her to do one, but I do not want to do that again. I was relieved to hear that she is not disappointed - she was actually kind of happy that she would have someone at the finish line cheering for her. Awesome.

OK, I gotta get to work. I might have to put in a 10 or 12 hour day today. I have to give a quarterly report tomorrow that I don't even have most of the data put together for yet. Since my assistant's position was abolished last year, I do my own data entry as well as everything else. I have tons of it to do.

Let's all stay sober today, no matter what, OK?

5 comments:

wendy said...

the letdown that you mention is a very real thing and being aware of it was helpful to me rather than just assuming I was losing my mind (which is always a possibility).

If your daughter's marathon isn't too crowded maybe you could ride your bicycle and see her/cheer at multiple places.

dAAve said...

May your back to normal day be full of wonderful data.

offbooze said...

It is hard not to maintain a goal, something to work toward no matter what. I understand how you might not be able to deal with it now that you don't have to train. If you can give yourself some time without pressure, do so.

Syd said...

I understand that feeling of accomplishing something momentous. The let down may come but the tools are there to deal with it.

Carverlane said...

Nice picture of the beach, but I can never get used to it being to the left when I am out there! I'm an east coast kind of girl.

It's nice that you can be prepared for that possible meltdown and not get blindsided by it.