Sunday, August 21, 2011

Always glad to be home...

I wish I had waited a moment to pass the "share the road" sign because that wasn't supposed to be the main subject of my picture - but it sure looks like it is.

The race was beautiful this morning. The weather was good, although I did get a sunburn. The course was supposedly "flat" - if that was flat, I would hate to see a hill. It was maybe the most difficult half marathon I have ever done. I spent most of the time along side another woman my age who also agreed it was the hardest half she has ever done. She has done a lot more of them than I have. But it was good.

It was an all-women's event. It was really done well for a "girlie" event - sometimes those are so over the top I can't stand them. I have to say that I had "a moment" when I was crossing the finish line. They had music blasting, and the song playing happened to be "I will survive" by Gloria Gaynor. That song always gets me a little - but to hear it as I was finishing a difficult race made me CRY. Dammit.

A very handsome fireman put my medal on me after I finished - I was beside myself, it was too much! And then I sat with my friends on the lawn in a park. When I realized they were drinking quite a few of the flutes of champagne given to finishers (I took the flute, but not the champagne), I decided to leave.

Yesterday they had asked me to join them in one car as they drove up to Vail. I thought about how much money it would save me, I thought about how much fun it might be. But then I thought about one little rule I have always tried to adhere to in my sobriety - Never Go Somewhere You Can't Leave. And I said I would just drive up myself. Oh, Thank God. I don't know how long they sat there drinking champagne, but I know I would not have liked to have been in the car with them afterward.

As it was, I got to drive home, a sober, happy, tired woman.

When I was on my way, I got a call from the moving company from Iowa, they were on the way to my house with a table and a box of things - from my dad's house. But that's a whole different story... maybe tomorrow.

I'll sleep well tonight, and I hope you all do too.
xxoxoxoxoxo, MC

6 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Good decision to take your own car. I am that way too. I need to be able to go when it is time for me to go-and no one knows when that may be.

Pammie said...

I'm proud of you sweet cabbage leaf. whoa...with "the" table cloth fit the new table? Will there be plenty of room for pies and all the flowers you seem to be attracting lately?

dAAve said...

I am waiting for the picture of the fireman.

Mary Christine said...

Pammie, the new table is not a dining room table. But it is maybe 4 ft. square and I have no idea where I am going to put it! So, don't worry about the table cloth. My dining room table remains the same.

JeremyRT said...

CONGRATS!!! I have the same rule, it's a great one to follow.

Syd said...

Good job on the race, MC. You are indeed awesome!