Monday, February 19, 2007

Sponsorship

I may not work out as a sponsor for this new woman. She called yesterday morning and said she was having a breakdown and going to the doctor. She called after seeing the doctor and taking the medications the doc prescribed. Xanax for anxiety. hmmm. Well, my limitation here is that I am not a drug addict. I have no clue about whether this woman has anxiety - who doesn't with less than 2 weeks of sobriety? or whether she is drug seeking, or what the hell she is doing. I just told her that if she was up all night, I sure didn't see her at the 6:30 a.m. meeting. That maybe she could try running to a meeting, or to prayer instead of to a pill bottle. I keep thinking about the fact that her last "slip" was on prescription medications.

I am faced with my limitation in sponsoring her. I know about drinking and I know that I can't drink at all. Period. I work at a psychiatric hospital, and I know for sure that some people NEED psychotropic medications. I am the last person to tell someone that they shouldn't take something their doctor prescribed. But, with this woman? Maybe that is what someone should be telling her, but it probably isn't me.

At the 5:30 meeting last night, a woman with 20 days who doesn't believe in God asked me to sponsor her. And for some reason, I said yes. I don't know why I am suddenly attracting these women, but there must be a reason.

Today is my friend Peter's 5th AA birthday. Peter is the other shadow in my profile photo. I will drive up to my old homegroup tonight for his birthday meeting. Thank God for the people who are serious about this program and stay sober.

"Today I practice being just another alcoholic in the worldwide Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous." -- Daily Reflections, p.58

10 comments:

Scott W said...

I posted that same quote today, I jsut love how it sounds. To just be one among many suits me just fine.

Happy Birthday to Peter! If he stands beside you then he is a good man.

God will reveal to you one day why you have been so attractive to the new women. Maybe because you shine with the program of AA? Maybe you have something they want? Probably.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you are the one to guide this woman in the direction she needs to be. You have a role in her life, and it is being revealed right now.

New sponsee that does not have an HP . . . I know your life will shine thru her and help her find a God of her understanding.

Happy 5 years to Peter!

Rex said...

Tough spot to be in. The issue is a huge one. I agree with you though....drugs do help people who have tried all the other things and nothing works....as in try prayer and meetings and recovery and then if you still have no relief talk to a Doctor.

Mama Dukes said...

I figure you have what these women want---sobriety

I still take on sponsees who get on meds but I wait until they are off meds to work the Steps with them

Meg Moran said...

Well...I AM an addict. Yeah, slippery slope. I have no problem with sponsees on anti-depressents, but anti-anxiety stuff like XANAX..? gotta move out of that arena quick. 2 questions for her: Did she tell her dr she is an alcoholic? Is someone else holding the pill bottle? The answers to these questions are very revealing. But you have so much wisdom MC..you'll know what to do. I'm just giving you an addict's point of view, cuz gosh dern it, I R ONE!!!

Anonymous said...

MC,

This is only my lack of trust based in experience.

Meg has offered some fine questions!

She said. She called. She said the doctor said. She said Xanax. Last slip - prescription meds.

Sounds, to me, like drug seeking or, as my friends refer to it - dope fiending. Too many "she saids" and not enough "evidence" that anyone in a position of trust said anything.

As always, I hope to be wrong. I have been some percentage of the time lol...

Pammie said...

MC..they want what you have. Own it!
I would not think a doctor would perscribe xanax, if she had been honest. I just don't. Plus if she is as serious about recovery as you are she would have said, "I need something for anxiety...but please don't give me xanax.
You could point out to her that there are other "safer" drugs for anxiety, and that they are more condusive to the program of recovery. BUT....let me tell you girl....when we addicts get what we consider a "free pass" (script)...we usually think YAHOO..no one can tell me this is wrong...cause a doctor gave it to me. That's just the way an addict brain works.

Scott M. Frey said...

the shadow knows....

happy 5th to the shadow...

you're probably attracting these gals for a reason not yet understood... I think it's great that you're willing to try to help them, even if you're afraid you may not be able to...

Unknown said...

I am constantly amazed that doctors prescribe Xanax to alcoholics. It nearly killed me 14 years ago. Killed to of my friends withing a couple of months of that incident.

Shannon said...

I have a hard time with rx medications too. I had one girl who had anxiety attacks and had rx for stuff. I told her what worked for my with anxiety attacks, warm baths, taking time to breath. getting out of my head, talking about what was bothering me, prayer, having fun. And I totally think you nailed it when you said who doesnt have anxiety when getting sober? LOL I still do from time to time, and I dont take meds. I was suggested in the begging of my recovery to seek a drug and alcohol provider, and I did and I learned about PAWS, post acute withdrawn syndrome, where people in recovery, have these anxiety attacks. I was directed to read the Sober Living Book, (not to be confused with Living Sober) But Sober Living had a good chapter on PAWS and things to do to relieve it...? It will work out how its supposed to. Also MC if you lived here I would ask you to be my sponsor! :)