Tuesday, June 05, 2007

My own personal Bike to Work Day

I have committed to ride my bike to work at least once a week for the summer. Gas prices of $3.25 a gallon greatly help me in this resolve. I truly enjoy riding my bike, and there is nothing better than an early morning bike ride, unless you combine that with a quick swim in a nearby lake - which I will do later this summer. I have decided to take 2 weeks to a month off of running, my body needs some serious healing.

Last night at the meeting, there were 48 people and at least 24 of them were in their first 90 days of sobriety. It was interesting because the topic was about whether or not to go to places where there will be drinking. My personal view is that I avoid those places, I don't enjoy them anyway, and I don't like to play with fire. Although I have been sober 22 years, 10 months and 13 days, I can get drunk today just like anyone else. I have seen so many people fool themselves with this stuff. I don't think most folks agree with my perspective on this, but I am fine with that.

Being sober is the most important thing in my life. Why would I play around with that? Or as my friend Larry says, I don't keep snakes in my silverware drawer. I really love that!

"Prudence is rational concern without worry." -- As Bill Sees It, p. 91

10 comments:

Scott W said...

I happen to agree with you on hanging out in bars. We hear so much about newbies doing just that. My last five years of heavy drinking I lived within walking distance of 13 bars and never set foot in any of them once because I drank in seclusion.

I love that statement about the snakes in the silverware drawer, I am stealing that one!

Pammie said...

Once people start drinking...I find them very boring..yawn yawn.
I too, like the snake in the silverware drawer line ;)

Zanejabbers said...

I know the feeling of being new and still going to bars. My friends would have beat me to pulp if I had tried to have a drink. Now that in itself was a miracle.
I was lucky. An old friend of mine in my early sobriety referred to alcoholic beverages as snakes. Gave me the shivers.gleoqci

Meg Moran said...

yeah, I could get drunk just like anyone else too. I have to remember this is just a 24 hr repreive. I'm stealing snakes in the drawer too!

Rick and Holly Garrett said...

I agree, I stay away from my danger spots.....love the fact that you biked to work! But, if gas is $3.25/gal where you're at, you're getting off easy. $3.59-$3.65 here. Ugh.

But the snakes in a drawer...well, I keep snakes as pets, so that wouldn't bother me much LOL.

Thanks for another great blog!

lushgurl said...

One thing I hear alot in my neck of the world is "if you sit in the barber's chair long enough, you're bound to get a haircut!". I totally agree with not going to bars, I honestly can't think of any valid reason for me to be there! We have clean and sober dances, many groups with amazing fellowship, no need to go looking for trouble.
love ya!

Scott M. Frey said...

snakes in my silverware drawer, very good saying...

Syd said...

I don't like to go into bars either. The drunks bring back too many bad times. It's the PTSD, I guess. I do like live music and most of that occurs late at night and in bars. So if I go, I check out the crowd and situate myself as far from the drunks as I can.

Unknown said...

I have no reason to hang out in bars. I will go to weddings or other events that frequently have alcohol. I am there for another reason when that is the case. I also have my husband with me, an added support. He however has to take customers out to dinner often and much drinking can take place. He will call me sometimes from a restaurant to make contact and usually will hit a 7am meeting the next day. I am glad I am not in his work force. :)

Shadow said...

bike or bicycle?