Monday, November 19, 2007

Monday Morning

This is my now four year old granddaughter - with her princess adorned ice cream cake.... the center of attention, the recipient of great love, and a precious little girl.

I am grateful that I get to be a part of my family today. It is indeed miraculous. I get to watch my daughter's disease affect her family - especially her children. I get to watch what I must have looked like at her age... drunk or sober. I was consumed with selfishness.

I thank God these children have a very actively involved extended family. And I know that God has no grandchildren.

I am going to church this morning. I am in the middle of some pretty intense stuff that I have not been writing about. My audience has expanded to those who are hateful, so it is difficult to write about deep stuff - which I probably shouldn't write about anyway. I think the struggle is over, I think I have finally reached the point of surrender, and that is a good thing. So, going to church on my way to work is probably a good idea this morning.

"We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition." -- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 85

6 comments:

Scott W said...

So cute! She actually looks a lot like you.

dAAve said...

Awww, c'mon.
That IS you!!
My HP puts hate in my life so it will be easier to recognize love. There's a place for everything (apparently).

Kathy Lynne said...

Beautiful! Hope your spiritual conditions allows you another day.

Anonymous said...

Mary,

Addiction, in any form, can be so difficult. You are strong.

I am part of an online game of "tag" between people that are in recovery (from all sorts of addictions). I am tagging you.

Check out my blog http://furrychocolates.wordpress.com to check out the rules.

Best of luck to you ...

Syd said...

I'm glad that you adore your grandchild. Grandmothers and grandchildren have that special bond.

Pammie said...

I love that cake!
I agree with Scott, she looks like you.
I don't like that you have things going on that you can't share about..I'm sorry. :(