Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Late Spring Morning

My Don Juan climbing rose - Which I planted earlier this month. It is doing so well, every day there is new growth. I love roses. I used to wear rose perfume every day - until I started working with a woman who made me sick every day with her perfume. Then I realized that perfume and the workplace are a very poor mix.
As soon as it gets light outside, I am going to drive to a nearby lake and take a run or two around it. I am tired of running the hills around my house - it was very good training for the half-marathon, but I don't need to do hills right now. It would be nice to take a flat run for a change.
I got fired by my neediest sponsee on Monday night. She got angry when she saw me at a meeting after I had told her I was spending the day with my daughter. My daughter had a change of plans and I didn't feel compelled to notify my sponsee that I had a moment of unexpected free time. I cannot imagine the entitled attitude that some women seem to get when they ask you to sponsor them. I am honored that my sponsor is willing to share her experience, strength, and hope with me - I would never claim some ownership of her time or attention... but that is me! I did talk with my sponsor about this situation and she TOLD me that I must not sponsor anybody new. I am sponsoring too many people now, and I think I have ventured into ego trip territory. I will heed the advice of my wonderful sponsor and tell the next person "no."
"If we really depended upon God, we couldn't very well play God to our fellows nor would we feel the urge wholly to rely on human protection and care. These were the new attitudes that finally brought many of us an inner strength and peace that couldnot be deeply shaken by the shortcomings of others or by any calamity not of our own making." -- Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 116

14 comments:

Pammie said...

Beautiful Rose MC!
The last time a sponsee fired me, she said that I NEVER complemented her on her "outfits" (??hee hee)
Enjoy your run.....you running nut.

Scott W said...

A loveable nut nonetheless.

You gotta laugh at alcoholics, the majority of us are self-entitled to some degree. God knows I have that defect. My sponsor never compliments my outfit, but is very complimentary of my talent and today when I arrive to lead the speaker meeting he will say, "We have a great chair today!" Today is also his 25th sober birthday.

Ms. V. said...

I once got fired because my sponsee could hear me flipping through the pages of a magazine, and I wasn't giving her my undivided attention.

Your post made me laugh.

lushgurl said...

Ummm, MC ? My sponsor just fired me...I'm lookin' for a new one....
BEEE-YOU-TI-FUL rose!

Mama Dukes said...

gorgeous rose!

we had someone mention entitlement at the NY Big Bood Study and it was so good cause I'd never seen how entitled I believe I am

ahhh wen a sponsee doesn't want to do the deal they sure know how to point the finger

dAAve said...

I often compliment Scott on his outfit. He's always got on a new shirt.
I am sure your ex-sponsee will find just what she's looking for -- most likely in a bar.

Meg Moran said...

what a perfect paragraph from the 12x12...thanks..you made my day!

johno said...

Thanks for sharing...being a newly fledged sponsor...I've got all this being fired stuff to come!! Lovely rose by the way :-)

Zanejabbers said...

I love the bouquets I pick up while checkking out posts. The rose is my fave. Thanks for sharing. You are so blessed to be able to say "i'm going on a run, and mean to actually run. Luv ya.

Kari Sullivan said...

What a pretty rose!

I've been blessed with a very helpful sponsor, and I do try to respect his need to have a life, too. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Peace out!
Kari

Shannon said...

ooh I swear sometimes you are in my head. Good quote right on the money for me today thanks. MC. Hope your run was nice today.

LOL at being "fired" by a sponsee because you call her and tell her you had time. well she will hopefully learn. I am glad to read that you seem to be takin it light hearted good ... :)
have good evening

vetver said...

I really appreciate the quote and needed to read that one today - thank you. As for whether or not you should take on any newcomers - I am sure you know that God will provide the answer in each situation. The drill my sponsor gave me is the same one I give to potential sponsees (a whole list of actions) and then they never end up calling me! shrug.

Clarity said...

I think your sponsee did you a favor.

Mama Dukes said...

I felt sooo guilty so much of yesterday knowing how I ranted and ranted about that woman's perfume in my office. I'm done with the guilt now and I have learned something more about myself, thank you