Friday, February 01, 2008

Such an exciting day

Yesterday I registered for the Mayor's Midnight Sun Marathon in Anchorage, Alaska on June 21, 2008 - the longest day of the year. I am so excited about this.

After a long and grueling day at work, where I nearly burst into tears of frustration at a meeting, I went to a faculty function. It was such fun to socialize with peers and people I am still coming to terms with the fact that they are my peers... former teachers, former bosses, etc. It is great fun. I spoke with the director of the program I am teaching in, and we discussed me going to Ethiopia to teach! That is about the most exciting thing ever - I am certainly not counting on this happening, but is sure is fun to think about. They need people who have the expertise to teach and the ability to take 2 or 3 weeks off to go to Ethiopia. Wow. I could do that! We'll see if it comes to pass.

I am extremely tired this morning, but I shall go out and run anyway. I am training for a Marathon!

I will get to an AA meeting tonight.

OK. I avoid politics like the plague on this blog, but I have CNN playing in the living room, while I am in my office. I can't help but notice that they cannot resist defining human beings as "A Woman and an African American!" Imagine! A WOMAN and an AFRICAN AMERICAN! Have we made NO PROGRESS AT ALL?!?!?! How about 2 candidates? 2 human beings? 2 senators? - sorry for my little outburst.

8 comments:

Scott W said...

Well, they still insist that our president is human. So, there ya go.

Zanejabbers said...

Labeling. Scott W. said it all.
Tee Hee. Ethiopa? Now that would be a challenge.

Syd said...

And I just read where the President may be a former AA member. He did mess up in the steps though and couldn't remember which was Step 1. I think that he might need to consider Step 6 in a concentrated manner.

Kathy Lynne said...

I know what you mean about labels but when you think about it, it is pretty historic that our country is even considering these 2 people for President. Sad but true. I'm grateful that we are getting closer to valuing people for the content of their charachter.

Pammie said...

Why is it always me who is the odd man out?
Instead I will comment on the fact that you registered for the run..YAHOOOO
Ethiopia...no girl...they have no squash or ocra there..trust me on this one.
AND OK FINE......I HOPE THERE WILL NOT BE A WOMAN PRESIDENT IN MY LIFE TIME....We need communication open with the Saudi's more than we need to pat ourselves on the back for being so "open minded" as to elect a woman. I can't imagine these male dominated societies doing business with a female.
I do not want a female commanding our troops...I just don't. I get to have my opinion too...right?

Kathy Lynne said...

uh oh. Here we go, politics. Pam I would have to agree with you. While I can't say I never want a woman president, I do agree with you about questioning the whether a male dominated society such as a Muslim society will be hard to negotiate with. But obviously they are not fond of good ole boys either. That is why, okay, I'm gonna say it, I think electing a black man, especially one with a Muslim father will help us to be seen in a much different light by those who want to kill us. Isn't gonna hurt that he is extremely intelligent, charismatic and articulate. Doesn't hurt that he may actually believe what he is saying. And that he has, dare I say it, integrity. Okay, I did it. You don't have to publish this MC:) Pam started it......(she said pointing finger)

Mary Christine said...

I apologize. I should have kept this little tidbit to myself. It seems that some have made some assumptions about my political leanings from this, but I will never tell - not here anyway.

dAAve said...

(hehe)