Monday, June 02, 2008

Goin' for a Run

You may call it the definition of insanity, but I am going for a run this morning.  Two things happened yesterday that made me want to give this thing everything I have:
  • A woman on the same fund-raising team (there are 5 of us) called me at mile 21 of the San Diego Rock n' Roll Marathon.  She has the same injury as I do, and she started the race thinking she would run 3 miles, but she kept going and ended up finishing.  She called me at mile 21 because her spirits were flagging - and she called me(?) and kept going.  How awesome.  My whole team finished.  (if you would care to donate, send me an e-mail and I will let you know how - I am raising funds for the Dominican Sisters Home Health Agency - they provide free in-home healthcare for the indigent elderly and get NO government money)
  • I called my Anchorage nephew yesterday.  My mind got to working on me, and I had myself convinced that it was insane to stay at someone's house, relative or not, for so many days.  I was going to extend my stay at Denali... but my nephew encouraged me not to.  He has so many plans for us.  My brother and sister-in-law (his dad and mom) will be there at the same time and they are the ultimate tourists - which is fun.  I am sure we will have fun, we are taking a fishing charter, etc.  This trip is only 17 days away!!!!! 
So, this morning, I am going to go out in the cool morning air, smelling these roses on the side of my house on the way out and on the way back, and I am going to run.  I will run 3 miles.  I will not push myself further or faster.  I will just run.  I think I can do a half-marathon in Alaska on June 21.  I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

And my nephew is still sober.  Some day soon I hope we will be able to have an AA group between us - between us family members.  I hope to God we do.  This disease is rampant in my family and it is just killer.  And for most of us, we think we are just fine because we live in nice houses, drive nice cars, wear nice clothes, etc.  While we drink our lives away.  

Thank God for a new way of life.  Thanks y'all.  And leave a comment, OK?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep on trudging!

Pammie said...

I wish you had talked to her on the morning after -First-before running. But that's just cuz I worry about you little ham hock.

dAAve said...

If you start this afternoon, you can run to Alaska and maybe be there on time. Or not.

DON'T KILL YOURSELF TRYING TO PROVE SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T NEED PROVING.

Zanejabbers said...

I worry too. I admire your spunk.
Keep it going.

Syd said...

I hope that you take care of yourself. Pushing yourself is one thing but hurting yourself is another. Just do what feels right for you.

Trudging said...

I really admire you!

Trailboss said...

Ha ha, you and Dave with the comments. If one day you want to be a deejay, your name can be MC That Could! They can all eat your dust!

Scott W said...

I was signed in as my sister as I had done some work on her blog, and I forgot to sign out. I think. Anyway, since we have to use comment moderation these days, I can't see it. So that is the deal. Sorry.

Tabitha.Montgomery said...

What is with peeps needing to ask bloggers to leave comments today?
Has there been a comment shortage?
Hell it's my pleasure to leave you a comment MC..It's been awhile.
I really appreciate your last paragraph here today..it's true.
I think you are a regular Forest Gump with that running btw..only prettier..lol..do what ya gotta do.

Nice reading you again.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your concern. I'm doing OK. The "starting over" only applies to running.

Your last paragraph in this post is great and a good reminder for me that functional alcoholism isn't really so functional.

And the running stuff makes perfect sense to me. I think a walk/run plan for the half-marathon might make it a bit more comfortable for you.

Anonymous said...

Newbie here, just surfing along...