Monday, June 30, 2008

Leaving Alaska

It is 10:30 p.m. on a bright, sunshiney night, and I am sitting at Starbuck's at the Anchorage airport getting ready to amble on down to the gate and get ready to go home.  Home.  Home.  Home.  I have never taken a "red-eye" flight before, and normally I would not think it is a good idea, but after being in Alaska for 10 days, I no longer know day from night.  At a little after 7:00 a.m., I will be in my beloved Colorado.  Colorado.  Colorado.  

It is so nice to be sitting here posting on my blog.  It is so nice to be going home.  

Please remind me to never leave home for more than a few days, OK?  I know I will never go to Europe.  I have no tolerance for extended travel.  

The trip in a nutshell?  Very very very nice.  My nephew is a wonderful man.  He is married to a wonderful woman.  They have three wonderful children.  When you stay in someone's home for that long, you really know when someone is REALLY wonderful, or if they are pretending.  They are all wonderful.  I almost have my great nephews and niece trained to call me "SUPER Great Aunt Mary."  If you are already a great, why not a Super Great?  

There is so much to write.  But I am pressed for time.  I am also a little bit scrambled.  

But I have to say, I am so grateful for my life today.  When you are far from home, you really get some perspective.  Man, I have it so good, it is amazing.  I have three children and two grandchildren who I love and love me back.  I have three brothers and one sister who love me and I love them.  Their children are people I love and who love me.  And then - I have nearly 24 years of continuous sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous.  Holy Cow!  What a blessing!!!!  I have a great job that I actually like.  I am actually affiliate faculty at a prestigious university.  I just completed my 4th half marathon and am about to start training for a triathlon.  I could go on and on but it would sound like boasting.  I wish you could hear me say these things, you would get a feel for how very grateful I am for these blessings in my life.  

If I got what I deserved or earned, I would be a bitter old lonely hag - but thanks to the Grace of a Loving God, I get to be a woman who I actually like, love, and respect.  It is incredibly wonderful.  

10 comments:

Pammie said...

I'm so glad you are coming home. I laughed at your last paragraph, because all week long at every birthday celebration, I have talked about my life being covered in grace and mercy...and how great it is that I did not get what I deserved. ;)

Scott W said...

Ahhh, but you do so deserve all those things. You are a child of God and as such deserve all the best life has to offer, no matter the past. It is simply yours for the taking.

Thanks for the birthday wishes. I know you will enjoy being home.

dAAve said...

You are blessed.
WE are too.

Syd said...

Glad that you had a nice time. Those positive affirmations about yourself are good. And I'm glad that you are happy to be coming home. After a few days of travel, I'm generally ready to get back to familiar things.

Shannon said...

I am smiling ear to ear right now, I can hear your gratitude through your writting and feel it. Thank you for just sharing you!
its past 7 am, I bet you are resting in your house right now and smiling! welcome home

Trailboss said...

We are all glad you are coming home. I can't imagine how strange it must be in Alaska now, with the daylight and all.

Banana Girl said...

Oh Sherpa, how you have been missed. Welcome home! Jeanne

Mike said...

Thanks for the post, I was trying to come up with a topic for a meeting tomorrow, and I think you gave it to me. What we deserve and earn compared to what a Loving God gave us....

I like it!!!

Patricia Marie said...

What a great post and you sound like an amazing person. I came to your site via BHM and I am glad I did. My childlost site is private. However if you would like an invite send me your email address at pzysk14@verizon.net

Laura said...

I don't have to stand in front of you to feel how truly grateful you are. It runs through your words, post after post. You are an inspiration.

A big hug.