Thursday, December 03, 2009

Present Tense


But it isn't tense. Not at all.

Writing my drinking story was an amazing adventure for me. I have told my story many times before - but always within a time constraint - sometimes an hour, sometimes less. I have, of course, written inventory many times over the years, and that has its own structure. I have never sat down and chronologically done a narrative of my story. Not doing an inventory, but just a story. I left a lot out. I tried to just capture something of each year that would sum up the year. Some years I honestly could not remember anything other than a vague feeling, usually not a good one.

As the writing continued, I was left with an overwhelming sense, once again, of the wonder, of the gratitude, for the Grace of God. I think it is easy to see that of my own, I have not much ability. Some people like to pat themselves on the back for all the "work" they have done to get and stay sober. I am not one of those. I like to thank God for His awesome work. And then try to help others as a way of showing my gratitude.

I am now off to a 6:30 meeting, in the snow and 6 degree fahrenheit cold. Now, that is cold!

13 comments:

Pammie said...

Please don't go outside in that cold- PLEASE!
I so enjoyed your writing about the years of drinking. I'm so glad that God picked more people than just me to pour his grace on, because it would be lonely out here by myself.

Scott W said...

Reckon you won't be running outside today?

Willa said...

Good December morning!

Along with God, my sponsor, and the program I'm gratified to find and read people like you, Mary Christine, who write about their happy (and even peaceful) lives lived without drinking.

When you wrote so long ago in your blog about those Yak Trax for snow-time wear, I told my boyfriend's mother about them and we sent two pairs to his mom and dad in Wichita, Kansas.

Syd said...

I am amazed that you remembered so much. I was sober during those years and don't remember much other than school, work, etc. It all seems like a blur.

Lou said...

I'm also impressed with your memory. I was not drunk, and all I remember is working, PTA meetings, and not getting enough sleep.

Hmm..I'm trying to think of another month of theme posts you could do;)

dAAve said...

I am of the belief that willingness is a big part of staying sober. Obviously, I can't do it by myself, but if I am not willing to do whatever it takes ...

Six degrees of separation is too cold.

Ed G. said...

Thank you again for your story and the reminder of the present of today (no tension).

Blessings and aloha...

Carverlane said...

I LOVED hearing the whole story...thank you so much for sharing it!

Enchanted Oak said...

Gratitude for another day of sobriety, working with newcomers, staying in meetings almost every day, and prayer are my keys to serenity, and they work really well. On my own, I am a drunk. With a Higher Power, I am a recovering human being. Thank God we don't have to do this alone.
Love, Chris A

Scott M. Frey said...

wow, winter has arrived in the front range...

I enjoyed reading your story and doing so really reinforced for me, the miracle of sobriety and the Grace of God. He truly is amazing!

Anonymous said...

Hi from South Africa. I wrote this after thinking about whether we (members and non-members) have our priorities right this season!
http://citysearchblog.yellowpages.co.za/citysearchblog/post/250155

mommaof3 said...

Completely by the grace of God am I alive and now sober. Why I lived thru many of my stupidest nights, I hope to find out someday. There is a purpose here on earth for my life and I am praying to live in such a way that the Lord reveals it to me.

Thank you for your posts.

mommaof3 said...

Completely by the grace of God am I alive and now sober. Why I lived thru many of my stupidest nights, I hope to find out someday. There is a purpose here on earth for my life and I am praying to live in such a way that the Lord reveals it to me.

Thank you for your posts.