Monday, June 06, 2011

Hi There

I've decided I am going to try blogging daily for 30 days and see how that turns out for me. If it turns negative, I pray God will help me to stop as He did once before when I needed to stop.

The race on Saturday was not my best. In fact, it was my worst. As I am in my 60th year, and I have a marathon in October, I will continue my training until my marathon in October. Then I will take up a more age appropriate way of getting exercise. Ironically, I had my best race since 2007 just a month ago. I saw my chiropractor today and she suggested that I take 2 weeks off for now and see how that goes. I will do that. I went swimming today and it felt like heaven. As I slithered through the water, it felt like there was rust all throughout my spine that was breaking away with each stroke. Two weeks of that I can definitely stand.

I went to a wonderful AA meeting this morning. I missed my group's monthly dinner on Saturday because I was unable to get out of bed after the race. I have missed very few of those. I was told they were waiting for me and my pie - and that made me happy and sad. The pie crust was made, the filling was made, but they sat in the fridge unassembled... and remain that way today. I will make it tonight and take it to work tomorrow.

Being a sober member of Alcoholics Anonymous is a very good deal. I wish I could describe that without people taking offense and hearing me as being intolerant and judgmental. If you could only know my heart, you would know that is the furthest thing from it. But I cannot soften my experience to make it more palatable to anyone. It is my experience. And I am grateful for the people who were willing to tell me the unvarnished truth. No one told me I could tailor AA to fit me - they told me my way didn't work and I ought to try it their way. They were sober, I was not. I was willing to hear and listen. Thank God for that. I see people who insist on doing things their own way, and they continue to get the same results. And no one is impolite enough to save their lives with a bit of truth. I guess it is more acceptable to "love" someone right into the grave.

"If you are as seriously alcoholic as we were, we believe there is no middle-of-the-road solution. " Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 25




8 comments:

Syd said...

I am glad that you are back. I am doing the P90X program, and it is a good workout. A lot of it I have done before but C. and I are enjoying doing it together. Rest up. Swimming is good. Take care of yourself, MC.

dAAve said...

I'm also glad you're gonna write to us some more.

Maybe you can become an Olympic swimmer?

steveroni said...

It is always good to hear those voices which speak out for the Alcoholics Anonymous Program in accordance with the Big Book. The proven way to living well without drinking...

The real good news is that your voice Mary, will continue until...
PEACE!

Brendan @ Sober in 100 Days said...

Is great to see you have turned all that productive energy into something more than just emptying bottles. Am excited by what being sober will offer me after a few years, considering.

Lou said...

MC...a delightful surprise to see you back! We have both "lived and learned" and by blogging I can pass those lessons along. If someone cares to listen...

I'm not so much running these days, as jogging. But in March, I placed 4th in a bodybuilding competition, holding my own against much younger women. It was fun!

Pammie said...

1. I water the lawn for exercise.
2. I would probably eat the unassembled pie.
4. I'm impolite about the program with people.
5. Blogging is better this time for me because my feeling is - if I post everyday...fine...if I don't fine. That helps ME.
6. You Rock!
Sweet pickle butt.

Mary LA said...

I zap snarky or negative comments and don't give them a second thought. I write for people like me and not for the mean-minded of the world. Good to see you back.

Ellie said...

I'm so glad to be able to read new blog posts by you! Your descriptions of what life is like as a sober member of AA are what got me into my own program, and I need the reminder that I should try it their way, not try to make it fit mine -- because mine sure wasn't working. (By the grace of my higher power, abstinent from compulsive and disordered eating for 78 days today!)

You also make me want to learn how to make pies.

I hope race training goes as smoothly and painlessly as possible for you!