Saturday, October 06, 2007

Autumn Leaves

I absolutely love this time of the year. And I absolutely love Saturday mornings. What could be better? I am sitting here in my green running skirt (yes, really) drinking my first cup of coffee of the morning - at nearly 8:00 AM! Getting ready for a quick run because my training is essentially over - the race is next Sunday, whatever fitness I have accomplished is done, I can't get any more fit now, I can just tire myself out before the race.

Yesterday I got to spend the afternoon with my beloved sponsee J. We were able to find four lighting fixtures, and I even came in under budget! She would not let me purchase the chandelier I wanted for the dining room... it had chickens on it and little lampshades of red and white gingham! I LOVED that thing! We laughed and laughed and laughed. But I am not kidding - I really would have bought it had she not forbidden it! I have the fixtures, still within their boxes, all over my living and dining areas. They will be installed tomorrow! woo hooo! I have wanted to ditch the crap in here since I moved here 6 years ago!

This morning Pam reminded me of something that happened probably 22 or 23 years ago. I hope you don't mind that I piggyback on this Pammie. My daughters and I had just moved into a new apartment. They, as 5 year old children, went about meeting the neighbors. One night they came home and with all of the assurance of a 5 year old child, told me that their friend's parents weren't alcoholics! I was so interested to find out how they determined this... so I asked. They knew they weren't alcoholics because they were drinking beer!

I hope everyone has a great Saturday.

"God helps those who don't try to take over His work." -- One Day at a Time in Al-Anon, p. 196

7 comments:

Scott W said...

I would say God blessed your home by letting J not let you buy that chicken gingham chandelier!

I want to see pictures!

Mary Christine said...

Oh Scott, it was the coolest thing ever. I will have to go back and take pictures. Of course, J. doesn't approve of the chicken lamp I already have in the kitchen!

Pammie said...

Thank goodness for good friends who save us from ourselves!
I don't know what you are going to do with your mornings now if you are not running...hmmm SLEEP IN.

Kathy Lynne said...

Phew! I feel much better now:) You and pam and your chickens!!!

dAAve said...

I want a rooster lamp for my bathroom!

Unknown said...

Chickens could work? If you work'em right :)

Kids are tooo cool. Reid took a test at school in second or third grade about drugs and alcohol. The question that asked "What is someone who drinks to much alcohol?" was answered...
gay

:)

Scott M. Frey said...

sounds like a great day spent with your sponsee... kids say the darndest stuff don't they?

I happen to like chickens too lol