Monday, April 05, 2010

The Busy, Busy Activity of Early Recovery

My sober daughter showed up yesterday morning with her bags and without her boyfriend. I did a marginal job of not jumping for joy. He had decided at the last minute that a motorcycle ride would be better for his "serenity" than Easter brunch with his girlfriend's family. At that moment, this was pretty much a deal breaker for my daughter. Since I wasn't exactly looking forward to seeing him across the table from me, I wasn't sad about this.

After our family brunch yesterday she went shopping with her twin sister. Sometimes after an extended period of sobriety, you forget the huge things that happen in a person's life when they stop drinking and hurting others and start amending the harm they have done - seeing my daughters together after what they have been through - it is indeed miraculous. Later she went to a meeting and then coffee with a friend. And all through the day there were the text messages and phone calls... oy! What a beehive of activity!

My house has gone from being my peaceful and very quiet refuge, to a busy little beehive of activity. And that is good. It is likely very temporary and that is good too.

I am so grateful to have a sober daughter. She woke up a little while ago and told me her plans for today. She is meeting a friend and going to a meeting. And going here and there... all good stuff. I am glad she has a couple of days off work.

Did I say I am grateful to have a sober daughter? Well, I am. Three years ago on Easter was probably as bad as it ever got with her. It was horrifying. And now it isn't.

Thank you God.

10 comments:

dAAve said...

Change.
It's all about change.

Syd said...

It sounds good to me. Glad that she is taking care of herself.

Carverlane said...

I'm so happy for you. And her!

Kim from sAn Antonio

Banana Girl said...

Beehive of activity....yep, that describes it perfectly....and guess what...the Queen never rests...Congrats on a beautiful day of changes that reflect your awesome wonderfulness...Thank for the reminders about change and paying attention, J.

Anonymous said...

So happy for you. My son has been sober for about the same amount of time and I know that feeling of gratitude and calm. Enjoy!

drybottomgirl said...

How wonderful for her and you! I will have two months of sobriety in on this coming Saturday. In that small amount of time I can't believe how busy I have been and how much my life has already changed! I am happy for you and your "busy little hive".

Ed G. said...

I wish the best of the best for the both of you. I get that you're happy and why you're happy. I'm happy for you too...

Blessings and aloha...

Pammie said...

I'm so proud of her.

Scott M. Frey said...

gratitude is good, change is good, happiness is good :-)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.