Thursday, July 14, 2011

60%

video
This work week is 60% over. It will be 80% over at 5 o'clock today. I am tired. We have had terrible storms for the last two nights. The kind you absolutely cannot sleep through. I decided to take a video of some of the hail last night. The video doesn't do justice to the terrific noise of hail hitting my house, my skylights, my windows. But I think you can sort of tell that it is hitting me - because I keep making "ooh!" sounds.

Yesterday I took a meal over to a friend with cancer. I have been complaining all week about how tired I am and how much my foot, leg, and back hurt. I have been limping around with a pained expression. Imagine my surprise when I knocked on the door of a young woman who is undergoing a tough round of chemo and she hopped off the sofa and came to the door with a great big smile on her face. We chatted pleasantly, she never once complained. She acted as if the meal I brought her was from a five star restaurant. (It was just a simple meal of homemade new england clam chowdah, a loaf of nice bread, and a lemon curd and strawberry tart.)

I wasn't born with that kind of disposition - but I can work on faking it. I believe people have somewhat of a genetic disposition after watching my kids from birth. As Lady Gaga says, "I was born this way." But I think we can work with what we have been given and make the best of it. It doesn't hurt me to smile and not complain, so I shall try to do that today.

With the help of God. I can do this.

6 comments:

Syd said...

Quite a hailstorm. We also got some much needed rain. I think that I was born with a non-complaining disposition as well. Or else it just comes from being an ACOA.

Steve E said...

"When you're smiling...the whole world smiles with you..."

So keep on smiling, Mary Christine.

Gabriella Moonlight said...

Great post, so true. I find that some are born that way and some like me are friendly curmugeons...LOL! Great post on the gratitude and recognitions of life...

Lou said...

The 3 person relay is full also or I would have volunteered to be a third.
Really:)

Yup, it's all or nothin'

dAAve said...

Looks like all hail broke loose.

Mary Christine said...

Oh Dave, I just love you!