Thursday, July 14, 2011

60%

This work week is 60% over. It will be 80% over at 5 o'clock today. I am tired. We have had terrible storms for the last two nights. The kind you absolutely cannot sleep through. I decided to take a video of some of the hail last night. The video doesn't do justice to the terrific noise of hail hitting my house, my skylights, my windows. But I think you can sort of tell that it is hitting me - because I keep making "ooh!" sounds.

Yesterday I took a meal over to a friend with cancer. I have been complaining all week about how tired I am and how much my foot, leg, and back hurt. I have been limping around with a pained expression. Imagine my surprise when I knocked on the door of a young woman who is undergoing a tough round of chemo and she hopped off the sofa and came to the door with a great big smile on her face. We chatted pleasantly, she never once complained. She acted as if the meal I brought her was from a five star restaurant. (It was just a simple meal of homemade new england clam chowdah, a loaf of nice bread, and a lemon curd and strawberry tart.)

I wasn't born with that kind of disposition - but I can work on faking it. I believe people have somewhat of a genetic disposition after watching my kids from birth. As Lady Gaga says, "I was born this way." But I think we can work with what we have been given and make the best of it. It doesn't hurt me to smile and not complain, so I shall try to do that today.

With the help of God. I can do this.

6 comments:

Syd said...

Quite a hailstorm. We also got some much needed rain. I think that I was born with a non-complaining disposition as well. Or else it just comes from being an ACOA.

steveroni said...

"When you're smiling...the whole world smiles with you..."

So keep on smiling, Mary Christine.

Unknown said...

Great post, so true. I find that some are born that way and some like me are friendly curmugeons...LOL! Great post on the gratitude and recognitions of life...

Lou said...

The 3 person relay is full also or I would have volunteered to be a third.
Really:)

Yup, it's all or nothin'

dAAve said...

Looks like all hail broke loose.

Mary Christine said...

Oh Dave, I just love you!