Monday, July 11, 2011

Running Dress & Monday

Since a couple of you asked for a photo of my running dress, this is it. It is not really that long, but I opted to not show you much of my legs. The dress is so freaking cute. I got so many compliments on Saturday. I had to ask my coach if she thought I was being ridiculous - a 59 year old woman wearing a cute little dress - she said no. And I trust her.

Today I will wear something less cute than that, and head out to work. I have a problem at work that I am trying to stay above. Not to get into the trenches of.

I have a new boss. She started at the hospital about a year ago. She has lots of experience in other hospitals (you can get that when you change jobs every couple of years), and has done MY job in other hospitals. She had so many suggestions for how MY job might be done better that the director of the hospital said "why don't YOU supervise her?" Great. I had a boss I absolutely loved, and he loved me right back. Now I have a boss with great ideas for how I ought to do my job better. She will come to dread talking to me, because for every idea she has, I have been able to come back with files full of detailed information about what happened when I had that idea and we tried it (and it failed). I smile and say "We can sure try it again!" And I am doing some of that. It is difficult for me to make efforts to do what I think it is a waste of time in order to not offend someone. But I am clear that I am working for a wage, and this person is my boss. So, I will give it my best shot.

The first day we met as supervisor and supervisee, her first question to me was "Are you the adult child of an alcoholic?" And instead of saying "That is none of your business and you are being inappropriate" (as I should have), I said "yes, and I am also a recovering alcoholic and have been sober for nearly 27 years." She has confirmed for me why I very seldom tell anyone at work I am an alcoholic. I was beginning to think I might have been wrong about that, but now I know I wasn't. She brings up things in the big book during supervision, etc. It is not something I feel comfortable with at all. She is not an alcoholic, but her father was and her daughter is. And since she has many letters after her name, she mistakenly thinks she knows all about alcoholism and recovery from it.

So I smile and try to be as agreeable as I can. It matters not to me that she is misinformed about many things, so I shan't try to "educate" her.

But I am going to confession a lot more than I used to. Because I need help with this situation. And that help will only come from God.

I have been through situations at work that required tremendous amount of prayer. I have prayed and have watched miracles happen. Maybe the other person transferred out of the department, or maybe the truly miraculous - and I felt my heart change. God can do these things.

God can do these things.

10 comments:

steveroni said...

This topic. So personal. And so universal. As God is: so Personal, at the same time...Universal.

Syd said...

Could it be that she is trying to relate at a deeper level? I guess it is another example of just having to let things go and give it to God.

dAAve said...

The cute little dress is just that -- CUTE!

As for the work situation, I read with a smile on my face. Ain't life grande? LOL

ps... I wanted to see more of your legs!

NotaSaint said...

Love this!!!! Started a new job about 2 months ago and for the first time hasn't been confronted with this decision. How much to overlap my recovery and professional life- I strive to live by the principles but I catch myself on the verge of quoting the BB. And the thought of being quoted the BB by a non-alcoholic makes me cringe!!!

Annette said...

Heavy sigh about your new *thinks she knows it all* boss. Very insensitive. Yikes.

Love your dress though! Very cute...

Lou said...

It's a fine line about what I want to reveal. I have revealed my secrets and found great support, and I have revealed my secrets and it bit me the ass.

Carverlane said...

Uh oh. And Yikes. Sending prayers your way, MC!

Pammie said...

A cute dress is a cute dress no matter what the age!
Please send me name and addess of supervisor and I will set her straight. I am telepathically sending her the stink eye.

Anonymous said...

MC, for some reason your blog had fallen off my radar. I couldn't tell you why, but I'm glad I found you again. I love reading you and I love love LOVE the dress.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to see you blogging again and read your wise words.