Friday, July 29, 2011

Upset

This is a photo of my two daughters - well, their backs anyway. One, as you can see, has a tattoo of a gun, among other things, on her back, as well as tattoos all over the rest of her body. The other wears her hair in a bun and wears tasteful cardigans, even on the hottest summer day.

The tattoo'd one just graduated from a program at a community college. We went to her graduation. That's nice. Right?

She also invited an old boyfriend of mine who has been particularly kind to her over the last few months. Unfortunately, he opted to not be so kind to me tonight. ick. He made some really inappropriate remarks to me - in front of my daughters. I was just flabbergasted and wanted to go home. He would not leave me alone. It was dreadful.

I hate it when my sordid (sober) past reaches up and slaps me in the face. I just could not imagine that this man would be anything less than nice to me! Just shows you how much I know.

The last time I saw him was about 15 years ago. He thanked me for saving his life - back in the day. I was 35. He was 24. He was homeless, just out of jail. I was sober 3 years, he was sober 15 minutes. I took him into my home, which was insane. He stayed with me for about 2 years.

And now he be nasty with me and brag about his house in the mountains and his cabin. His sons and their expensive education. His lovely wife. Whatever.

Who cares?

OK, I have to go to bed. I am getting up at 2:30 a.m. to go and do my 18 miles tomorrow. I hope I can calm down.

I need to remember that it is all in God's hands. He knows who I am and loves me. He knows that I have repented of many of my behaviors and He has forgiven me. It has been so long since it has been in my face, it was just shocking tonight.

11 comments:

steveroni said...

That past returns. Most of my past is dead. Good luck on the 18...

me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Syd said...

I have a feeling his comments are really about some stuff going on in his life. But that isn't your problem. Toxic people are not going to add anything to our lives. I realize that they have nothing I want. Congrats on the graduation of your daughter.

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Mary, Shadowlands said it very well above. The “man” has a slew of issues which you Don’t. How great is that !~! Let it all go and be thankful you have decades of goodness to follow you and bring goodness back to you. Sounds like that’s not the case for the “man”.

You did good. Stay the course.

dAAve said...

A wise man once said, "Let no one steal your peace."

Lou said...

I have come to the conclusion that a whole lot of people are just plain weird. There is no rhyme of reason to their behavior.

I hope the beauty of the day eases the miles. Thinking of you.

Pammie said...

He must have seen you in your running dress then went home and told his wife who in turn has been making his life miserable because she is so tired of being compared to fabulous Mary and her fabulous wardrobe.

susanm said...

Maybe a good fourth step would help answer the question as to why this guy got under your skin. When I am really bothered by another, its a good time to look inward and find out where I am with myself. There is a guy at my homegroup who is generally pretty difficult. I am so happy he is there because he is a great gague of my relationship with myself. When he gets under my skin, I need to ask myself why. When I can hear his BS and not be fazed, I know I am firmly on the AA beam.

Pammie said...

1. Either susanm does not know how infuriating comments like that are to someone who has lived this program like you.

OR

2. She does.

Mary Christine said...

Thanks Pammie. You are the best.

And you said it best. So, I will leave it alone. But thank you.

Annette said...

"I need to remember that it is all in God's hands. He knows who I am and loves me. He knows that I have repented of many of my behaviors and He has forgiven me. It has been so long since it has been in my face, it was just shocking tonight."

Love the above and LOVE Pammoe's comment about fabulous you in your fabuloud wardrobe.

The problem is not YOU.