Monday, July 04, 2011

Freedom does not come free

I bet you think I am going to go all patriotic on ya, huh? (I am very patriotic, but this isn't probably the proper venue for that.)

I sat in an AA meeting this morning and we talked about freedom as we usually do on the 4th of July. I reflected on the price I had paid for that freedom.
  • Years of drunken "pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization"
  • Utter surrender at the hands of those who seemed to have an answer - for themselves and me - thankfully they told me I had to surrender to a higher power than them
And then, voile! I got sober - and the rest has been gratis.

You may say whatever you like about the "work" you have done to stay sober. In my opinion, the "work" I did was when I was drinking. Spiraling towards an alcoholic bottom bad enough to make me willing to surrender. Now, THAT was work!

When I surrendered the work was over. God has done for me what I could not do for myself.

And all I have had to do is cooperate a little bit. Like, by getting a sponsor and doing the steps. Being a sponsor and helping others. Going to meetings. Thanking God every day for these blessings and asking him how He would like me to show that gratitude.

It's a wonderful Independence Day. I hope you all have a nice day.

5 comments:

Syd said...

Have a great one,MC.

steveroni said...

New attitude and new outlook--on work!

Happy Day of Independence.

dAAve said...

"the WORK I did was when I was drinking"

I like that.

Certainly, I believe that sobriety is the easier, softer way.

word verification = twinabb

Lou said...

God bless your son, Mary, and the sacrifices he makes for all of us.

InteriorCastleDweller said...

I feel the same about work, in fact when people (especially sponsees) talk about working the steps I still cringe. I did not work the steps, I surrendered to the idea that the steps work, even in a life and brain like mine :)

I read a bit of the Declaration of Independence to a very young sponsee who had never read or understood it, she was amazed that it was so reflective of the understanding she's come to have of AA and the traditions we uphold to be spiritual truth :) LOL