Monday, March 03, 2008

To a Meeting

I'm off to a meeting first thing this morning. I am so grateful that I have a 6:30 a.m. meeting on my way to work. It makes it very easy to get to a meeting and still have a full rest of the day. I meet a sponsee there on Monday mornings and after the meeting, we go into one of the small rooms in the clubhouse and talk and read.

I have no new clothes to wear today. I don't have a new job to go to today, or a new car in which to drive there. I don't have a new lunch box, or something different to pack in it. I just have my usual, ordinary life. It is a good thing. It was hard for me to learn to live through the ordinary times. No drama, just life. Good.

I will leave the house I have owned since 2001. I'll go to the same workplace I have been going to since September 6, 1994. I will drive a car I have had since 2005 - this is a very very old car for me, I like to get a new car approximately every year and a half or two years. I will go to a meeting I have been going to since 1994.

Yes, my life changed in 1994. I was 10 years sober, and finally ready to put the drama behind me. I divorced the crazy Aussie who was my husband. I got a job and told myself I would stay there until I retired (which so far at least is true). I would actually join a church and go at least once a week. I would work to get out of debt and buy my own home. I would get a car and get valid plates and insurance on it. I would do all these things I had never done before. And I have. And I am grateful for that. By the Grace of God.

By the Grace of a loving God.

9 comments:

Pammie said...

You have inspried me this morning little corn muffin. I worked so hard for so long to have a "normal" life, and now that I have one, I take it for granted.
Enjoy your monday.

dAAve said...

There's a lot to say for consistency.
You just said it.

Syd said...

It sounds like the new is you. That's what matters.

Anonymous said...

You're story is inspiring. Part of me is a little envious but my better-self realizes what a miracle your are and any recovery is.

Peace.

Zanejabbers said...

B E A U T I F U L.

Scott W said...

Life IS good. Happy Monday!

nic said...

I thank God, too. I was thankful that I got to clean the house the other day.

And I don't know what's up with those Aussies. I get to deal with one on rare occasions- he's my son's father. Maybe there's something to be said for a country that was populated by convicts. Who knows.

Scott M. Frey said...

no drama is a good thing for sure!

if you're up to it, come by and see what I have tagged you for.. I promise, it's different and worthwhile :-)

later!

Anonymous said...

I loved your post today, thanks.