Sunday, February 07, 2010

6 more months till Football

I really love football, so I go through a bit of withdrawal as footie season ends. It sure was nice to see Drew Brees walking around with his son, and tears in his eyes... and for those of you who are Colts fans, I understand, really I do. But I wasn't particularly attached to any team in this race, so I really liked to see the underdog win.

Tomorrow I shall go through a bigger withdrawal as I go through my first day in several years without a Diet Pepsi. Oh, this could be something. I really have to quit. I was going to give it up for Lent, but I need to give it up and there is no sense in waiting another 10 days. I couldn't sleep last night and it occurred to me that the excessive amount of Pepsi I consumed yesterday probably had something to do with that. I had only one (24 oz.) today, and tomorrow - none. Yikes. Absolutely my last vice... unless you count cussing.

I had a nice chat tonight with the sponsee I was so upset with on Friday night. That was good. She came to some conclusions I would have harshly "suggested" to her on Friday (but for the Grace of God). It was good that they were her idea. I agreed with her and support her on good terms and it is good. It is really wonderful when someone realizes they probably ought to try moving in a new direction.

I think the right program for me right now is bed - with a novel. I have been reading such serious things for last several years. I have recently been struggling through Dostoevsky, and decided there is no crime in putting that down for a little while and to read a freaking bestseller novel. I am doing that. Not that it is "light" - the subject matter happens to be the Columbine 1999 killings - something very close to home. But it is still a novel.

I am a grateful sober woman tonight. And I only have to work 4 days next week - and then a 4 day weekend. Do you think my car can hold together till next weekend so I can trade it on a new one?

11 comments:

Ed G. said...

I still have 2 vices to get rid of - you're ahead of me.
Blessings and aloha....

Lou said...

Diet Pepsi may be a health hazard, but Diet Coke is actually good for you. I read it on snopes.com.

dAAve said...

The only vice left. I LOL at that because I'll have to live another 100 years to have the chance to say something like that.

I'm curious as to what carmaker will benefit this weekend.

Unknown said...

Yours is Diet Pepsi..mine is cookie dough. Ugh....i love cookie dough. Okay..I will give it a try since you are going to. You are inspiring. I hope you don't even miss it...

Namaste

Pammie said...

Don't they make caffine free diet Pepsi? I don't know.
I hope a lot of sunshine-shines down on your head this week!!!

Scott W said...

Good luck with the car this week. That stuff makes me so uncomfortable. I feel vulnerable when it comes to cars breaking down.

Dr24Hours said...

Ooo.. I LOVE Dostoevsky. Which one are you reading?

Mary Christine said...

The Brothers Karamazov.

Syd said...

I have a few vices still that I am holding onto for dear life. I ask for their removal daily though.
Have you tried Pepsi Zero?

Mary Christine said...

It is the artificial sweeteners that I need to avoid.

Anonymous said...

Mary, I gave up soda pop this year, I have had a couple of "slips", but less than 12 ounces has passed my lips since January 1st. I feel so much better and less bloated and jumpy. Try some Peligrino water to satisfy the fizzies. I really like it and it has only 10mg of salt.