Friday, February 05, 2010

Phew!

Scott W. had some suggestions the other day - like going to the tanning salon, getting some fresh flowers in the house. These are the fresh flowers that I bought tonight on my way home from work. You will note the tablecloth back in use. There is a faded green stain from the wax from the party, but you would have to be looking for it - thanks to all who offered their suggestions for how to get candlewax out of a beloved tablecloth. (freeze it first, then scrape off what you can, then place it between layers of brown paper bags and apply a hot iron. It worked!)

Today is my sponsor's 37th AA birthday. I had wanted to go over to the western slope and visit her on her birthday, but with all the hubbub here, it just didn't happen. We talked today. I am so grateful for that woman, words cannot begin to describe...

And tonight I went to a meeting with a sponsee and her partner. It's one of those old meetings in an old church with a couple of old men. If not for me and J., and C., it would have been two old men and two newcomers. A 22 year old woman who has not had a drink for 10 days shared tearfully about her life being a "trainwreck" - now THAT I understand! I got to give my phone number to her, a new lady who is actually "new," not on her thousanth recycle. It was so refreshing and I feel like my soul has been restored to a great extent. I think I will have to go back next week, if only just to see if she comes back.

I've been up since 4 a.m., and this is the first time I have had to myself all day. I am exhausted and am going to bed. And am grateful that tomorrow is Saturday. And that I am sober today. And that others are still coming to and getting sober in the program of Alcoholics Anonymous, because AA works.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

The flowers are beautiful. I hope you get some good rest. You sound like you need a weekend of pampering!

Namaste

dAAve said...

Yes, your flowers AND tablecloth are very nice.
I think it's probably a great idea NOT to drive too far in your car right now.
The meetin gyou attended sounds pretty neat. Did you go in a Hummer?

Mary Christine said...

Yes, David, as a matter of fact, I did go to that meeting in a very nice Hummer!

Ed G. said...

It's amazing how some of the little things, and the big things, work - sometimes it's just that, amazing.
Thank you for sharing it all.
Blessings and aloha...

Scott W said...

I love tulips and newcomer meetings!

Scott M. Frey said...

newcomers... where would we be without them? I wish that people would no longer have to get sober because the disease was gone, but since it isn't I am grateful for the newcomer!

Lou said...

I actually want to comment on yesterday's post: You just never know about people..that used to drive me crazy, but now I accept it.

Syd said...

Glad that the stain came out and that your spirits are bright. Newcomers are so important. Take care of yourself.