Saturday, February 13, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day

Instead of worrying about whether or not someone buys me flowers for Valentine's Day, I purchased some for myself yesterday. They are pretty.

Tomorrow a friend and I shall go visit another friend who has been hospitalized for quite a while. That should effectively eliminate any thoughts I have of self-centered worry about how I am not getting my full share of what I think I ought to be getting out of life.

I always remember one of my first sober Valentine's Days... I was crying in a meeting because I had not gotten anything for Valentine's Day. Back then I was young and attractive enough to get away with such shenanigans. Old Denny (God rest his soul) got up and left the meeting. I hadn't noticed until a few minutes later when he returned. He had gone to the nearest 7-11 and purchased me a card, a box of candy and a big old Valentine's balloon. That was about the sweetest thing ever.

You know what? I would actually rather be where I am today than where I was back then. The age, the wrinkles and all. I'd rather buy my own flowers than be hysterical because I had crazy expectations that somehow didn't work out they way I wanted. I do miss the old guys like Denny B. though.

God Bless You Denny B... hope to see you in that big meeting in the sky some day - but not too soon.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are lots of Denny B's around. Thank you letting us know about one of them.

Happy Valentine's day to you, MC.

Anonymous said...

Love your flowers, love your honesty. I read some of your SOLD! post to my husband and we had a nice laugh. It all keeps us humble when we let it. Thanks for sharing your experience, strength and hope. Have a happy day.

Hope said...

That is a beautiful bouquet of flowers. The first time I got flowers for Valentine's Day I told my best friend that if she could get my boyfriend (who was from a different culture and had never heard of valentine's day) to buy me a dozen roses I would give her half of them. She did and I did. Somehow that bouquet never meant too much to me.

dAAve said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Scott W said...

Sweet! Happy Valentines Day!

Unknown said...

I love a good Valentine's Day story. The flowers you bought are lovely. I'm glad you bought them!

Happy Valentine's Day.

namaste

Lou said...

Being comfortable in our own skin is truly a blessing. I've only gotten there myself in the last couple of years.

Pammie said...

Will you be my valentine?

Trailboss said...

The flowers are beautiful. I am missing my hubby being out of town today but he is in my heart. That's the most important thing for me. Plus I have my daughter here and get to see my grand babies today!

Syd said...

I think that everyone likes to have something special related to love, whether it is on this day or just as a regular thing. Thanks for Denny B.

Ed G. said...

Sending you thoughts of love and flowers and ever other little thing that would make you happy.

Blessings and aloha...