Sunday, February 14, 2010

Scenic Shot...

I was driving from one church to another yesterday afternoon and passed this park. Every time I pass it I want to pull over and take a picture, yesterday I finally did. No reason. I just think it is particularly scenic.

Today a friend and I went to visit her sponsee. She is in another rehab. Her 300th. (That might be an exaggeration.) She has been away since before Christmas. It was good to see her. It was good to sit on a sticky bench at a sticky table and talk to another alcoholic for an hour or so. I really do wish I knew why some people just won't stay sober.

But I did hear my sponsee at a meeting on Friday night say that she never saw anyone who really practiced these principles in all their affairs have a life that sucked. I laughed when she said that because it was so simple a way to say something that seems far too complex for us to grasp at times.

Oh, we can have difficulties and trials and even illness and death, but truly our lives are never comprehensively BAD when we are practicing these principles in all of our affairs.

I think I will endeavor to do that for another day and hope you all join me...

8 comments:

Lou said...

My life does not suck!

Scott M. Frey said...

they've named a hill after the guy I used to be... nice memorial :-)

Pammie said...

Oh, there was scenery behind the sign?
I heard an old woman in AA one time say that she had to ask God to hold her arm down around the chronic relapsers that she loved because she always wanted to yank their hair real hard to see if maybe that would work.

Dr24Hours said...

What a refreshingly simple way to see things. When I do this, my life doesn't suck.

Syd said...

My life is good today because I am choosing to collaborate with my Higher Power to make it so.

dAAve said...

I think I know who that park was named after, but not sure if they've ever been to your city.

Rehab 300 times, eh? Interesting.

I think fear is a huge reason for many of us to not get or stay sober.

Ed G. said...

My life does not suck today, thanx to AA and God.

Blessings and aloha...

Unknown said...

My life doesn't suck either. My attitude might at times, but I get over myself pretty quick these days.

jackass hill...you can't make this stuff up :-D

namaste