Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Pink Cloud

The above photo is of a mural in a hotel lobby in San Antonio. We were visiting the room of a friend. It was kind of cute that when I said to my daughter "She is on a pink cloud" other people in the lobby laughed. On a 'normal' day, in a 'normal' lobby, in a 'normal' place, 'normal' folks would not get that reference. But in San Antonio last weekend, the whole city was in on all of our 'inside' lingo. (Also, I might add that this painting is surrealistic - this is what the word "surreal" means.)

Today I did my 10 miles. I am hurting and I have a blister on my left foot. I am glad I didn't do this while I was in San Antonio. It would have wasted a precious day there. So although I am behind on my training, I can suffer through that - the International was a once in a lifetime event - and I am glad I didn't mess with it, too much.

Does anyone have a way of knowing if the flagbearers from the Islamic Republic of Iran and Israel stood next to each other at the flag ceremony at the International? I thought about that all that night, and all through the convention, and obviously, I have not stopped thinking about it. I am not sure if they were right next to each other alphabetically (in which case they would have been on opposite sides of the stage) or separated by one other country (in which case they would have been next to each other).

Do you know that we all applauded for each country? Each and every one. It was as if there were no political divisions at all that night. None. I will admit that we were a bit more enthusiastic when the stars and stripes were presented, but there was absolutely no negative response to any country.

"We are people who normally would not mix. But there exists among us a fellowship, a friendliness, and an understanding which is indescribably wonderful. We are like the passengers of a great liner the moment after rescue from shipwreck when camaraderie, joyousness and democracy pervade the vessel from steerage to Captain's table. Unlike the feelings of the ship's passengers, however, our joy in escape from disaster does not subside as we go our individual ways. The feeling of having shared in a common peril is one element in the powerful cement which binds us. But that in itself would never have held us together as we are now joined. The tremendous fact for every one of us is that we have discovered a common solution. We have a way out on which we can absolutely agree, and upon which we can join in brotherly and harmonious action. This is the great news this book carries to those who suffer from alcoholism." -- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 17

5 comments:

steveroni said...

Amen!

Syd said...

That must have been an awesome sight. I like that quote from the BB. Hope the pink cloud lightens your feet as you run.

marie said...

I am with Steve - Amen! We do "get" one another don't we? I think this is why my poem this week caught your attention. I have a feeling you are the only one who commented that truly understood it (especially since the title, "pride in reverse," is a term our AA founders used to describe self-pity). I appreciate your blog and enjoy reading about the convention through your eyes. God bless you, MC.

dAAve said...

You can view the flag ceremony on the aa.org website.

Mary Christine said...

Dave, I have tried, it just buffers forever.