Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Not feeling great

Although I have a lot of work with a 'drop dead' date of this friday, I think I am staying home today. I am just worthless. I am so tired and achy. My daughter was like this all last week, and I kept encouraging her to STAY HOME, get rest, get well. Perhaps I could listen to my own advice?

Here is what I will do (and thanks for reading as I process this)... I am going to go out and take a quick 3 mile run. I will see if that energizes me or if it kills me. If it kills me, obviously I cannot go to work. If it energizes me, obviously I will want to go to work! Any alcoholic will understand why I agonize over these things. Most of us called in 'sick' so many times when we were drinking, it is hard to call in truly sick without feeling like a liar. After 22 years you would think I would be over this, but I have a strong work ethic which normally serves me well, but in this case might be working against me.

I wanted to mention that my son called from Iraq on Sunday. I know many of you are praying for him, which I appreciate so much words can't say, and I feel that I should update you when I can. He sounds very tired and very old, but he says he is doing well. I am so proud of him for never once complaining about what must be a difficult assignment. God Bless Him.

"It is not to be expected that an alcoholic employee will receive a disproportionate amount of time and attention. He should not be made a favorite. The right kind of man, the kind who recovers, will not want this sort of thing. He will not impose. Far from it. He will work like the devil and thank you to his dying day." -- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 149

11 comments:

Syd said...

Take care of yourself first. Work will always be there. Glad that your son is okay.

Pam Jarnagin said...

I love it! You're feeling so bad you're thinking of calling in sick, so you're only going to do "a quick 3 mile run." Only a runner or an alcoholic can understand this thinking. I definitely get it! It's raining, and I was going to blow off my run this morning, but now you've shamed me into it, darn you, MC!

Do listen to your body, though. If you're tired and sore, your immune system defenses will be vulnerable, too, and you can end up getting sick a lot easier. Rest is good sometimes! (Sorry for preachin' at you, girl. Just take care of you!)

Glad you heard from your son, too! Will keep praying for him.

Sunshine said...

Hey, I hope you get to feeling better soon. I can't believe feeling bad involves a 3 mile run!!! but do understand just getting up and moving can motivate you to do more.

I'm inspired by the 'work like the devil' quote and hope I can live up to it.

Meg Moran said...

you must press you face very close to the phone when he calls huh? yes, God bless him.

lushgurl said...

I honestly don't know how you do it sometimes MC- just how long does it take you to run three miles?
I am glad to see you wanting to take care of you though, too much of anything is dangerous (for me!)
I am also very happy that your son called you, still in my prayers...enjoy your rest and day off???
HUGS and love for you

Scott M. Frey said...

God Bless your son indeed, and you too for that matter....

I too called off many shifts when not truly sick, or when I was hung over so I know what ya mean...

But, ya gotta take care of yourself so, don't overdo it MC!

hugs!! Thanks for your prayers and visits to my bloggage!

Pammie said...

Thanks for the update on the baby boy...take care of yourself so you can give him good mama love when he comes home.

Anonymous said...

I'm only now, in the phase of my life,taking my own advice also MC.
Funny how that process works.
You take good care and I am so glad to hear you got a call from your son.Hope you feel better soon.

Sober @ Sundown said...

Well, did the 3 mile run energize you or put you back to bed?

Anonymous said...

God bless ya and your son


get better, kay? :)

Shannon said...

I totally understand about the calling in sick thing ahahhaha

well I hope whatever you did you feel better now. sweet dreams