Monday, November 07, 2011

Long Term Sobriety - and Pie.

I got up at three this morning so I could bake a pie to bring to work.  I donated it for a fundraiser and today is the day I need to produce!  Couldn't have happened on a better day.  I love, love, love standard time.  I love that I am used to getting up at 4 or 5 and that now translates to 3 or 4 - for a week or so.   So, I have time to bake a pie and get ready for work.  I need to be super-ready today.  I have a meeting that is so very important.  I am meeting someone I hope will be someone in my future.

I don't seem to be able to drop my controversial streak here.  I had hoped to.  But I got a comment yesterday that I have thought about over and over.  It was anonymous and the person stated they are a non-alcoholic observer.  But here is the line that got me:  people who would need the program are not in their right mind due to the disease. A typical symptom of the disease is obsessing and paranoia and this does not go away miraculously when you have a sponsor.

There seems to be a misconception growing among our observers.  That everyone in AA is a sick alcoholic.  Not so, my friends, not so.  I do not consider myself "not in my right mind."  My mind is righter than it has ever been.  I need AA as much as ever.  But not because I am obsessive and paranoid and needing a drink.

There is a program of recovery in AA.  There are twelve steps that really work to not only get rid of our desire to drink, but to restore us to our right minds.  We then help other alcoholics and become productive members of society.

We are not all hanging around AA clubs jonesing for a drink.

Some of us have been sober for a long time, leading productive lives.  And that is because the program works.  Some of us have been sober a short time and have had spiritual awakenings, are helping others and getting our lives back together.  Some of us haven't destroyed our lives at all and if you didn't see them sitting in an AA meeting, you would likely have no idea they have any problem at all.

AA really works.  It really restores people to life.  In many cases, it doesn't really "restore" because the person never really had a productive life before they got sober.  But they get one as they live in a new way.   Not just not drinking, but living a totally different way.

The program of Alcoholics Anonymous works.  Every single day alcoholics manage to find their way into the program and find a new life awaiting.  It does require some effort.  The effort is miniscule when compared with the rewards.

So, I will get on my sober way and have a sober day today.  Gratefully.  Thank God.

8 comments:

Mary LA said...

Loved this, it gave me goosebumps -- and what is you say is my experience too, even at this early stage. I don't know any saner and more giving people than some of my friends in AA.

dAAve said...

Sure.
The range of individuals that make up the "we" is a microcosim (sp?) of the world at large. Some are certainly sicker than others; just like in the non-alcoholic world.

Debbi said...

What dAAve said ... I learned early in sobriety that we're different from the rest of the world in only one aspect – our allergic reaction to alcohol. Other than that, there are generous members and misers, helpful ones and shy ones and outgoing ones and wallflowers and the life of the party and the girl or boy next door. I can't imagine a better world in which to live. Everyone teaches me something.

Syd said...

I see so many alcoholics that have adopted a spiritual way of life. They are happy and productive. We all have shortcomings and can get "stinking" thinking, whether alcohol is involved or not. It is how we emerge and grow that matters.

Lou said...

Obsessing and paranoia..along with blaming, anxiety, panicky feelings,isolation, fear, social discomfort..are all the more reasons to confront your defects and work to change them.

They ain't going away by themselves!!

Anonymous said...

Hi again, it's me the non aa observer. When I reviewed your site and read that you had deleted your post after you had read the comments, I was glad because my comment was also deleted. I wanted to send a new comment, to let you know how much I appreciate your point of view and how I find value each time I read your blog...but couldn't come up with anything graceful to say. I certainly never intended to say anything negative about the members of aa...I was talking about the sickness of alcoholism and how it has affected me and those alcoholics that I have come to know. Please excuse my clumsy writing.

Simply Me said...

Thank you for the post, recovery is a beautiful thing.

Mary Christine said...

Dear Non-AA Observer,

Thank you for your lovely comment. I am sorry I quoted you like that, it probably wasn't fair. You are most gracious, and I hope you will continue to read.

Mary Christine