Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Alive & Well

I'm alive and well and enjoying a tiny vacation in western Colorado. Visiting my sponsor and her husband.

We've had so many wonderful conversations - over coffee, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. An old friend who lives here now stopped by to visit yesterday. It reminded me of how much I miss him.

In the midst of this, another friend called to tell of the death of someone I've known since I got sober. He died, 37 years sober, of a sudden, fatal heart attack while golfing. Somehow, I can see him smiling at that. He had a horrible alcoholic history, and yet, by the grace of God, got to live the last 37 years as a sober man. I will miss him.

Heading home later today. I expect to have a few spectacular photos from the train ride. I cannot figure out how to post them from my iPhone- it is tricky enough just writing this!

Sober lifetimes shared with others - God has blessed us so abundantly.

7 comments:

dAAve said...

Cool.

Syd said...

Really great to hear that you are having a good time. So sorry about your friend but it sounds as if the last 37 years were what counted.

Download the iPhone App called Blog Press Lite. It works great and allows you to upload photos from your iPhone. I use it on the boat to post.

that girl said...

i am glad at least that he died sober. :)

Carrie Van Horn said...

It is always nice to get away for a while...I am sorry to hear about your old friend, that is sad, but his 37 years is an inspriration even now through your memory and telling of him. Thank you for sharing! :-)

Bobby said...

I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing with us. The fact that he was sober for 37 years is so great. He is a success story and that is how he will be remembered. I think he would have been really happy to know he had a very nice tribute from you.

Carverlane said...

Sending good thoughts your way for a relaxing visit and safe trip home.

Kim from sAn Antonio

Scott M. Frey said...

sadness on the death of your sober friend... but mini vacations are soooo nice!