Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Race is Run

Pre-sunrise at the start. It was gorgeous - and it was brrrrrrrrrr, cold at 8500 ft. elevation!
Crossing one of the many bridges during the race. I didn't want to stop to take photos, so I didn't, that was the best I could do on the fly.
Just a shot as we were ambling along.

It was a good race. I decided this morning that I would walk the whole thing due to my back. Believe me, I don't walk much slower than I run. At about 4 miles, my back was hurting so bad I doubted that I could get through the race. I started talking to another woman. She was running, but was so discouraged because I was walking as fast as she was running. At 6 miles, she said I looked like I was having more fun than her and she was miserable, so she was going to just walk along with me. We had the best time! Because I was talking to someone else, I wasn't focused on my pain and I had a good race. It was a lovely day. It is wonderful to be winding through the mountain roads, crossing the creek over and over and over again. Most of the time, it was roaring along side of us. I got to walk along another woman for a little over 8 miles and such an interesting woman! An opera singer!

I am very happy about the race. I am very relieved.

Tomorrow I am heading out on the Amtrak to see my sponsor. I am not taking my computer. I don't know how to post with my iPhone, but I do know it is possible. My intention is to leave the blog alone for a day or two, but we shall see -I haven't been very successful with my attempts at that in the past.

I greatly appreciate your prayers today. I felt lifted by them.

I will sleep well tonight!

11 comments:

Syd said...

I am so glad that you took care of yourself and your back. So glad you finished the race and had fun too. Enjoy your trip.

Hope said...

That pre sunrise photo is beautiful. I'm glad you made it through. I haven't been on a passenger train in 30 years as the closest one is 4 hours away. I hope you have a great time with your sponsor.

Shannon said...

What a perfect attitude- so positive and inspiring. Glad you had fun and took care of yourself.

Annette said...

Congratulations!!! I have been walking all week up and down hilly terrain in my area. I covered about 14 miles this week. I know....small beans, buts its a start! So happy for you and your accomplishments!

me said...

'My intention is to leave the blog alone for a day or two, but we shall see -I haven't been very successful with my attempts at that in the past.'

Hahaha! Powerless over people places and blogs !!!

Well done with completing the race.

dAAve said...

Glad you made it through alive and in one peace.
Now, you can give that back some rest.

Scott M. Frey said...

I'm glad you got through it, and that God provided a friend to help you along. Perhaps that was a bit of the "Footprints" prose coming true for you!

Well done MC.

Carverlane said...

YAY! You did it! I was thinking about you yesterday, and was glad to read your report.

Kim from sAn Antonio

Carverlane said...

YAY! You did it! I was thinking about you yesterday, and was glad to read your report.

Kim from sAn Antonio

that girl said...

i bet you slept well :) good for you.

marie said...

"Because I was talking to someone else, I wasn't focused on my pain and I had a good race." This statement really stood out to me because it reminds me of how talking with other women in the program keeps me from focusing on my pain which usually, like you said, means "I had a good race" (or day in my case.) Congratulations on your accomplishment.