Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Life on a Wednesday Morning

Do you see my Denver out there on the horizon?  It looks like the Emerald City in the Wizard of Oz, doesn't it?  This was from the race on Sunday.  You cannot believe the hill we had to climb to get up there!  That was pretty much the exact spot where in my dream I fell and broke my leg.  But - I did not fall, and I did not break my leg.  I had a great race.

So great, in fact, that I have decided to do some last minute training this week in an effort to do the marathon I am registered for in October.  I have decided not to do this race at least 3 times over the last 2 months, and each time, I have come back and said "I think I can!" and tried again.  I will do some big mileage this week and see how that goes.  The blister on my right foot will not be helpful, but other than that, I feel fine.

Yesterday we had a big event to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the hospital where I work.  A lot of retirees attended.  It was so much fun to see people I haven't seen for a long time.  I kept saying, this must be what a high school reunion is like - I have never attended one.  But it was just deliciously wonderful to see some old faces and hear people shout "Mary _____!" turn around and see someone I have loved and not seen for a long time.   One man (retired for 10 years) walked up to me, hugged me and told me I was the first person he wanted to see and he was so happy that indeed, I was the first person he saw.   I got to talk to so many people who were so helpful to me early in my career in healthcare.  They are old now, and I am older.   I am glad to know that now I am doing what I can to help people who are early in their careers in healthcare.

But I was on my feet (badly blistered already) for 10 hours - and believe me, I am not used to that.  It made me grateful for my office, soft chair, and computer.  If I had to physically work for a living, I think I would have to be considering retirement.  I don't think I could do it (says the woman who is planning on a marathon 2 months before her 60th birthday).  Whatever.

I'm grateful this morning for just about everything.  It feels so good to have my real mood back instead of being under the influence of that horrible drug (for migraine prevention) I was on for a month.  I better stay in good health, because I do not tolerate drugs well.

It is good to be sober.  Thank God.






1 comment:

Syd said...

I'm glad that you reconnected with old friends. That is great. After a long career at one place, there are many that I see when retirement parties happen and when the Lab has open house. I have not been to a high school or college reunion though.