Friday, November 24, 2006

Black Friday

I wish I had my camera at the gym this morning. There were like 3 people there. There was not one other person on all the treadmills. It was actually kind of creepy. I guess I could feel pretty smug about being so devoted as to actually show up at 5:30 a.m. on the day after Thanksgiving. Once again, I am greatly blessed by my weaknesses. Were it not for my running, I would not only be overweight and out of shape, but I would have a world class case of depression.

As I left the gym, I drove by the mall. Oh my goodness. What are all those people thinking? At the mall before it is even light outside? Yikes.

I am glad I am an outlier today. I will gladly be at the gym instead of the mall. I will gladly be at the AA club instead of drinking my Thanksgiving dinner. I will even gladly sit at a 5:30 p.m. AA meeting on Thanksgiving when it is not only a holiday, but my beloved Broncos are playing (and I can be the only Broncos fan who is not calling for Jake Plummer's head on a platter, cut that man some slack, please!) I will gladly go to work today when most people are off, because I need to keep my mind occupied. And all of this is not because of virtue but because of weakness. I need to do all I can just to keep my head above water right now.

"We never apologize to anyone for depending upon our Creator. We can laugh at those who think spirituality the way of weakness. Paradoxically, it is the way of strength. The verdict of the ages is that faith means courage." -- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 68

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just get so much from your blog. I am about to head to the gym and treadmill myself and your post inspired me to get there. And, yes, I too had a slight smug feeling but I too need to do this because of weakness.

Meg Moran said...

If I remember, that part in the book goes on to say 'we ask God what He would have us to BE (not DO) and fear immediately starts to leave us.'

MC there is NOTHING more for you to do. Just rest in the sunlight of the spirit. All will be well.

Shannon said...

LOL I used to be one of those crazy people who got up at 1.30am to be at the mall - Kb toy store/or Toys R us by 2.30 to be the 3rd or 4th in line- YES that meant there were others crazier than I... LOL it was fun. Today I am at work.. coulndt turn it down, paying us triple time... :)
Hope your run is good and sorry about the Broncos yesterday... LOL
I mean.. :)
well next Sunday its the Hawks against the Broncos so we'll see you there! Happy Fridaay

Anonymous said...

I'm tell'in ya shopping for some people is like drinking for alcholics or drugs for addicts so naturally SALES are gonna bring out the worse cases of Shop-O-holics!
Whatever people are in to..not for me though.

You keep doing what you feel is best for you MC.Were behind you all the way:)
Thanks for sharing~

Recovery Road London said...

Nice quote from the BB.

I agree with you - there is something **odd** about being in a building which is deserted when it is normally packed e.g. gym, office block etc.

**shiver**

:-)

Have a great day.

x

Anonymous said...

I know going out to the stores is like putting a gun to your head. Pretty scary, almost like if ya wanna test your patience come on and be tested! I rather keep my serenity on this day :)

Scott M. Frey said...

well MC, Jake the Snake has had a tough time of it, but it's not like he is surrounded by star athletes... Most Browns fans want to torture Charlie Frye slowly and painfully, forgetting he is a rookie, and has no O-Line and two receivers who are rookies as well (rookie = < 16 games played...) I feel your pain! As for the workout thing, I am impressed... well done, you're much more motivated than I but thanks for the inspiration!

Mama Dukes said...

I am continually amazed at what I "get to do" and where I "get to be" because I am in recovery.