Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Tuesday before Thanksgiving

Yesterday while getting in my car to leave for work, I realized I didn't have my coffee. So, I got out of the car - and my foot went sliding across the garage floor and my arm and knee hit the car. I thought my arm and knee hurt until I got to work and then I realized that my BACK is killing me! All day long I did the postponement trick - I'll go to the doctor after I take this motrin. I will go to the doctor after lunch, because after all, a girl needs her lunch. I will go to the doctor after 3:00. Then, I will skip the doctor because I want to go to the 5:30 meeting. And this morning I am doing the same thing - my back still hurts, but get this - I am going to the gym and I am going to try to run 3 miles and see how that goes. If it goes well, I obviously don't need to go to the doctor, I just need to go to work.

My daughter is supposed to get out of jail today and her father is doing some sort of "intervention". I am praying, something has to change here. Those baby girls cannot live with a mother such as her. Today is the little one's third birthday. Thank God she is too young to really "get" that it is her birthday. We are going to celebrate it on Thanksgiving.

My ex has changed his mind about Thanksgiving. He had said he wasn't going to have it at his house and so I would have the kids and grandkids here. However, he has changed his mind. I am not going to argue with him because he has really stepped up to the plate with the grandkids and he needs all the help he can get.

So I will do something I haven't done in probably 15 years. I am going to go to the AA club for Thanksgiving. The kids will come over here for a brunch of eggs benedict, and then when they leave, I will go to the club. Someone requested that I make an apple and a pumpkin pie, so I will do that.

"Those of us who have come to make regular use of prayer would no more do without it than we would refuse air, food, or sunshine. And for the same reason." -- Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 97

15 comments:

Trudging said...

GO TO THE DOCTOR! I am sorry about your change of plans but your Thanksgiving sounds good to me.

dAAve said...

Sorry about your back injury but .........
EVERYTHING TRUDGING SAYS ABOVE

Mary Christine said...

Thanks Trudge and Daave. I did go the gym, I did run 3 miles, and then I limped off the treadmill and out of there. It hurts! I will go to work and call the doc from there.

Mike said...

Somebody at that clubhouse needs to hear what you have to say.

I am confident of that..

Oh, and ditto Trudging and dAAve.

Mike

GOOOOOD ol Rockytop... rockytop tennesseeeeee! said...

Lol! I hope your back gets better!

Petutes said...

MC-I hope you feel better and enjoy Thanksgiving at the club. I think I have more fun spending the holiday with other drunks rather than my family. Your plans sound fun. Happy Thanksgiving if I don't see your blog before then. :-)

Anonymous said...

How about heat applied? I get confused when to apply heat versus when to apply ice. Heat just seems like it would loosen things up and feel oh so good.

Take it easy MC.

Meg Moran said...

Aren't we alcoholics a stubborn bunch when it comes to taking care of ourselves? But man-oh-man we take care of everyone else...whats up with that?

Unknown said...

Ouch! I agree with the others, get to a doctor.
I'll say a prayer for your daughter to have a moment of clarity.

Anonymous said...

And I thought we Al-Anons weren't good at taking care of ourselves! :-) But we learn that we can't help others until we help ourselves, in every area of our lives - spiritual, emotional, mental, and physical. I have a friend who will be eating with you... wish I could say who, but I just know you'll comfort one another. Big Hugs from Montana!!!

Sober @ Sundown said...

You do the doctor thing as well as I do...........

lash505 said...

Sorry about the back take it easy. Thanksgiving I will be going to step study. These things are necessary for us to remain sober.

Anonymous said...

Don't put off the back problems too long MC.You could do more damage.
Yes that is right..we blogger buddies are here to tell you how to live your life..lol...
You sound great ...your Thanksgiving sounds wonderful and I was pleased to read about the Grandpa in the family stepping up to the plate.I am wishing your family a peace holiday ..I know there is a lot going on in your world right now MC so all I can do is send you cyber hugs and wishes for serenity and love..
Thanks for sharing.

Shannon said...

I am glad you are going to the DR!
We are doing Thanksgiving at our hall too! we do have to make the rounds with the in-laws first.. IT will be fun.
I hope your back is feeling better. I am sorry about your fall.

Shannon said...

Oh yea, heat on 20 minutes off, 20 minutes then ice on 20 minutes then ice off 20 minutes
ok love ya