Sunday, November 19, 2006

Sunday in Football Season

And I am grateful for ESPN and NFL network, and regular networks with football too. I can easily watch 3 football games today, the Broncos don't play until 6:00 p.m. I watched two college football games yesterday - which I don't think I have ever done in my life.

The "good" twin daughter is going to the Broncos game tonight, after she gets done with her all day class, preparing to take the LSAT. The "bad" twin is in the hospital part of jail. She called this morning, and unfortunately, sounds just like herself. I didn't have all the facts when I reported that she was uninjured in the car accident. She has a broken rib and a closed head injury, and therefore is in a jail hospital bed, on vicodin. She sounds like she is maybe on vacation. Shit. I lit a candle for her this morning at church, as well as my other two children and my grandchildren.

I went to a speakers meeting last night and as God would have it, the speaker is a veteran of 20 + drunken car accidents. It was good for me to listen to him. He ended with tears (and I mean REAL tears), talking about how he got to babysit his 3 year old niece the night before and how she told him she loved him. Thank God for AA and the wonderful collective experience we get to share. It was weird though to realize that he had his first drink in 1986 - when I was sober for 2 years!

A friend came over for dinner after the meeting and we ate, talked, and watched a college football game. It was fun to watch this normally peaceful and serene man start telling people on to shut up and calling them "dorks". Football seems to do that to people... no wonder I like it so much!

I am feeling the seven miles I ran yesterday - ouch! I am about to grab my wonderful handknit (by me) mohair afghan and plant myself on the sofa for the day. And back to sentence one... I am grateful for dish network. Among too many other things to mention.

"God willing, we members of AA may never again have to deal with drinking, but we have to deal with sobriety every day. How do we do it? By learning - through practicing the Twelve Steps and trhough sharing at meetings - how to cope with the problems that we looked to booze to solve, back in our drinking days." -- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 559

10 comments:

Mike said...

Thanks for sharing..

Kids, You gotta love em...

That's what we parents do.

My prayers are with you and yours..

Anonymous said...

MC, sounds like a nice, peaceful Sunday. I am watching FB myself as I post this comment to you :)
"bad" twin's vacation will come to an abrupt end when she is swept out of the jail hospital and the Vicodin goes away much sooner than she thinks it should. It's ALL good, MC. the vicodin, the hospital, the jail. All of it.
I think of you and your son each day.
Peace,
Scout

Scott W said...

You know, I have never watched an entire football game on television. Or basketball or baseball. Chocolate or vanilla? Or maybe strawberry?

Anonymous said...

Yay football! I hope your favorite teams win :)

lash505 said...

Yes football and the broncos are going to get beat by the chargers tonight...lol thats loots of luv not laughs..

Mary Christine said...

Yeah, well, we'll just see about that, won't we?

dAAve said...

Amazing that the speaker has been in 20+ accidents in only 20 years. There's something for your daughter to mull over.

I am entertaining side bets between lash and MC.

Mary Christine said...

How entertaining Daave! Did you see what the Cowboys did to the Colts?

Meg Moran said...

Well I don't know nutin about football, but I know about finding your bottom , so like Scout said...it's all good. Let's shift on down and save her a seat. My prayers are that it will be soon.

Mama Dukes said...

geez, you knit too? All you creative women! I flunked Knitting