Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Front Porch in November

There's my front porch on Veteran's Day. Not so glorious in the winter, but I still like it.

Last week, I was visiting my old department at work. I was in the director's office (my old office) and when I came out, Gloria was walking in the department. We both were shocked. Gloria worked in that department with me for 6 years. She hated me. I am not kidding - she told me she hated me. She quit as soon as I became the department director, and I was happy to see her go. She came back to the hospital a year or so later in another department, and has been there ever since. To put it mildly, it was a shock last week for us to find ourselves both standing on the battleground of our old war.

We said 'hello'. I asked her how her son is. He has been in Iraq. I told her I have been praying for him, and I am grateful that is actually the truth. He has left Iraq, is now in Germany, and will soon be on his way home. She talked about what this year has been like for her. She told me she is praying for my son, and I am grateful that I actually believe this is the truth. As we talked, she started to cry. I started to cry. We hugged. We connected on a very deep level. The sheer terror of being the mother of a soldier in a war, the faith it necessitates, and the gratitude for the prayers and caring of another soul. It is a beautiful thing to watch the power of God change hearts.

"Finally, we begin to see that all people, including ourselves, are to some extent emotionally ill as well as frequently wrong, and then we approach true tolerance and see what real love for our fellows actually means. It will become more and more evident as we go forward that it is pointless to become angry, or to get hurt by people who, like us, are suffering from the pains of growing up." -- Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 92

14 comments:

Trudging said...

Wow that the kind of story you should send into Guideposts or something. Or maybe Grapevine.

I love your front porch! I love my front porch. Thank you for your kind words on my Blog!

dAAve said...

You're something else.

Petutes said...

Beautiful post to see this morning! Who knows maybe my old friend and I may connect again like this.
The porch is beautiful, have a good day!

Karen

Shannon said...

I think that reading from the 12x12 hit it on the head!
I started to tear up reading this..


I love your front porch, makes me want to come over and use your rocking chair

have a great day
HUGS

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful experience. How wonderful for your sons situations to have allowed some healing between you two occur.

Anonymous said...

Oh ya and I love your porch. It is cozy even in the cold frosty days.

Meg Moran said...

My HP spoke thru you today. Thank you for being a voice in my darkness. I will get out my 12 and 12 and turn to pg 92, Shoulda done that in the first place. Funny how we sit in our anger sometimes.

JJ said...

thank you for sharing mc. i cried. good cry.
jj

Anonymous said...

Please know that you and your son are in my prayers.

The photo of your porch stirs a longing in me for a place that experiences four seasons. Here in Phoenix, we experience six months of temps in the 60's - 70's (winter) and six months of London broil with temps up to 120+.

I miss the changing leaves and crisp fall air. I miss the smell of boiled peanuts and homemade apple cider. I miss trees.

Peace,
Dharma

jake said...

VERY NICE INDEED....COUPLE DAYS AGO YOU MADE ME LAUGH NOW YOU'VE MADE ME CRY....PRAYERS OUT FOR YOU AND YOUR SON AND ALL THE PEOPLE AFFLICTED BY THE WAR ON TERROR.

Mike said...

Thanks for sharing.

and

Thanks for being....

Redhead Gal said...

That was a very touching story, thank you so much for sharing it. May both your boys get home safely.

Anonymous said...

That is an amazing story, MC. I have been praying for your son and I always think of you whenever I hear something about the war in Iraq.
You both are always in my prayers.
Peace,
Scout

Mama Dukes said...

what an awesome connection, thanks for sharing this experience