Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Living Life

I'm off to be an election judge today. I am actually excited about it right now. I am grateful that I get to be part of the world I once rejected.

And because of the 10th tradition (Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues; hence the AA name ought never be drawn into public controversy), I will not subject you to my political views. Many people arrive at this blog and others looking for help for the lethal disease of alcoholism. It would be tragic for them to get here and feel that they couldn't get help because they would need to conform to a particular political leaning, or if they got here and got offended by something I posted. I can share my experience, strength, and hope - there is nothing to argue with there. But when I start on my opinions, there we open a can of ugly, squirmy, worms.

"Can we actually carry the AA spirit into our daily work? Can we meet our newly recognized responsibilities to the world at large? And can we bring new purpose and devotion to the religion of our choice? Can we find a new joy of living in trying to do something about all these things?" -- Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 112

13 comments:

Redhead Gal said...

Have fun, MC!

Trudging said...

Yes, have lots and lots of fun. You are in for a long day!

Scott W said...

MC, thank you for your community service. It's great that we, as ordinary citizens, can make a difference. I didn't vote early, there is something about actually voting on election day that I like. Now, where is my Gay Vote button?

Unknown said...

Excellant point. One of the reasons I gave out my present so early is because this time of year is hard and people will start those heavy searches.

I love your BLOG!

PS ~ I made you a banner and it is up.

Sunshine said...

Service work can be done all over the place, can't it? Keep up the great work! I'm grateful for you!!!

dAAve said...

Try not to judge too harshly.

Shannon said...

as always I think you are awesome, hope today was good for you

Anonymous said...

Being involved is a powerful thing MC..good for you!

Anonymous said...

You are one awesome human MC. Have a great day!

lash505 said...

Very cool they wouldn't have probably let you vote if your were drinking. Your my hero..very cool ty

Petutes said...

Good for you for contributing in that way! I just had a long evening waiting in line for 2 1/2 hours to vote for 5 minutes. It was well worth it though, although I missed a meeting as a result. I though I would be in and out of the polls in 5 minutes like the last election and get to my meeting but it turned out to be crazy to wait in line for hours. While we waited they served pizza and chips and cookies and water. We heard the Gay mens choir singing Christmas Carols. Thanks for the post and Good night.

Petutes said...

Good for you for contributing in that way! I just had a long evening waiting in line for 2 1/2 hours to vote for 5 minutes. It was well worth it though, although I missed a meeting as a result. I though I would be in and out of the polls in 5 minutes like the last election and get to my meeting but it turned out to be crazy to wait in line for hours. While we waited they served pizza and chips and cookies and water. We heard the Gay mens choir singing Christmas Carols. Thanks for the post and Good night.

Mama Dukes said...

good for you!