Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Back to work

(that's not where I work, but I wouldn't mind if it was!)
I am gratefully going back to work after four and a half days off. I am so grateful that I have another seven years until I am of retirement age. I hope to be able to be gainfully employed until then.

Many people of my age are retired or will be shortly. That is not my story. I spent many years in my prime working years being unemployed. Some of them because I was a housewife. Some of them because I was unemployable due to drinking. Some of them because I was unemployable due to early sobriety and its insanity.

This career started at the age of 42. At ten years of sobriety. Now I have been at it for fifteen years, and hope to remain at it for another seven.

This blog has basically been my journal for the last four years, so I will write it here even though I wouldn't otherwise... on Thursday of last week my boss called me into his office. He closed the door (gulp). He started himming and hawwing (gulp). He started telling me about how they were looking at reorganizing management (gulp). I took a deep breath and said a prayer and knew that no matter what I would be OK. He asked me if I would mind being reassigned under the medical director. I said I would be thrilled. Oh, if I were greatly concerned about my status in the organization and my upward mobility, I would probably balk at such a move, but I am not. I am greatly concerned with my effectiveness in my role and my happiness as a human being, and so I am thrilled that I get to work with a man I deeply respect and dare I say, love? In only the noblest way, you understand. So, I feel that not only do I seem to have a job for the duration, but I get to have a new lease on it. This is very good.

I better get dressed and out the door and get to it. :)

11 comments:

Scott W said...

We never know what the day has in store for us.

kberman said...

Hi Mary, I am unemployed but I know that God holds me in His palm. Recovery has given you the ability to be patient and flexible making you a valuable employee.
Please visit me sometime.
kathyberman.com.

diane d said...

Wow! That's awesome!!!

(oooooo!!!! I LOVE the photo!!!!)

Dr24Hours said...

Congrats Mary.

dAAve said...

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

Shannon said...

good morning and that is the miracle of this program, trusting God and showing up
Have a great day MC

Ed G. said...

Congrats!!!

My new "plan A" is that I will work until I can no longer work, then I will do whatever I'm told is next.

None of my other plans have worked out the way I expected them - I expect the same of this one.

Blessings and aloha...

Syd said...

That is great news. I'm glad for you and that your new position is one that not only interests you but provides job security. Many congratulations.

Mary Christine said...

hold on there folks, I don't have a new job. I just got shifted around on the org chart and I am reporting to someone else, lower down on the food chain. It would be considered by many to be a demotion. I am happy about it, but it is not a new job at all.

Findon said...

Wonderfully handled Mary. Thanks for the tip.

Scott M. Frey said...

congrats, MC... that can help take some of the guesswork and stress from your mind now :-)