Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Winter Storm Warning


There's a snow storm moving in over the mountains. I am not ready to shovel snow. It is only October! Daylight Savings Time has not even ended yet! It is pre-Halloween, for crying out loud! And yet, it matters not, it is coming regardless of how I feel about it.

Today I have my quarterly report to Governing Body. I woke up at 5 and thought - YAY! This will be over in a few short hours! Three hours from now, I will be giving it my best shot and probably four hours from now I will be done. At noon, my assistant is taking me out for lunch for a late "boss' day" treat, and this afternoon I will spend preparing a presentation I have to give tomorrow. It's a full day and that is the way I like them.... but I could easily skip the Governing Body part. I have been doing this for eight years and I have only grown to dislike it more and more. The faces change and I liked the old faces better. They understood what I was talking about and cared about it. Now I am talking clinical data to a bunch of bean counters and it does not compute. And I cannot make it compute. Oh dear, I better shut up.

But! I have a new sweater to wear today! And I will count this as progress. I used to buy a new suit quarterly for my presentation. And then I thought about the fact that I HATE wearing suits and that they never seem to have gotten me the promotion I thought they would. I spent a lot of money on suits that now have dust on the shoulders of the jackets in my closet... because I so dislike wearing them. Over the weekend I purchased myself a pretty new sweater to wear today. A sweater that will look pretty with a skirt, pants, leggings, and jeans! Versatile!

I will go give it my best today because I learned how to do that from you sober people. Thank you.

8 comments:

Annsterw said...

Here's to giving our best each day even when we dont feel like it! Thanks for the reminder. I agree with the dreading snow thing but I keep reminding myself maybe if it starts earlier it will end sooner! Thanks for your post!

Ed G. said...

Good wishes on your presentations.

A standard around our house in these areas is "...who do you work for, really?..."

Blessings and aloha...

dAAve said...

Good luck. But by the time you read this, it'll be over. So I just hope it went well.

Syd said...

I don't like giving presentations to bean counters either and fortunately, don't have to do that much. Scientists though can be a dull audience too. I like giving talks to the general public because they appreciate what I do.

Gin said...

Hope everything went well today! I'm sure it did with your new sweater! :-)

Scott W said...

It's all about versatility, baby! They make garment bags for dust free suits.

BTW, I sent that prayer you requested. Did it work?

Mary Christine said...

Yes Scott, thank you. My presentation went well. The meeting, however, was three hours of perdition.

Pammie said...

will they match your new green jacket?

Hi Mary. Thank you for the candle lighting...that means a lot to me.