Sunday, October 25, 2009

Free Association

It's Sunday afternoon. It's snowing. There is a football game I don't care about on television. Football games I don't care about are better for snoozing to than games I actually want to watch and I do hope there is a snooze in my future this afternoon.
I drove across town to my old homegroup this morning (no one told me the interstate was closed before I left the house or I likely wouldn't have gone - getting there was a trick). After I sat down at the meeting, I saw my old friend Erlinda across the room. I haven't seen her for years. I screamed! She screamed! We ran across the room and embraced! She cried "Maria, Maria!" In her best spanish. It was a glorious moment. Then I saw Terry. We embraced. We told each other we love each other. We laughed at how we hated each other in the early years of sobriety. She, so self-righteous in her religiosity - and I, so happy to offend with all my cussing and acting out behavior.... not quite acting the way she thought a sober woman ought, and oh, how I enjoyed annoying her! And now we love each other. Life is funny that way.

On the way home, I stopped at whole foods for a free range chicken and some organic this and that for my Sunday dinner.

I decided it would be a lovely to make a dressing of sprouted wheat bread, onions, celery, walnuts and butter, and stuff the chicken full just before roasting it! The yams are cooking, the chicken is roasting, and it all smells lovely.

I did wake up in time to get to the lace knitting class yesterday afternoon. There is something so primal about sitting in a room full of women doing some sort of needle-work together. I got to be the youngest woman in the room - which doesn't happen often anymore. I got to listen to a woman talk about trying to be gentle as she bathes her husband who is now unable to care for himself. Another woman, quite elderly, wondered aloud about what her life would have been different had she known how infertile she was, her youth might have been quite wild - if she hadn't been afraid of a phantom pregnancy in those days before "easy" birth control. It actually was a bit shocking to me!

So I have a lace knitting project started, it is red... and I purchased some yarn for a hat and started that last night - it is purple. And I seriously want this hat. I may try to finish it today if I stop posting photos on this post and stop writing all this stuff...

But wait - I am still madly knitting this baby blanket for a baby due in December. I am maybe 2/3 done? But I have a lot of Christmas knitting to do... and not a whole lot of time before then.

After my knitting afternoon yesterday, I went to a nearby church (near to the knitting store), and went to confession and spent an hour in prayer. Then I stayed for mass. A woman came in a few seconds late and sat next to me, and after a while, I realized she was someone I knew from AA. It was so nice to be at church with her. She doesn't normally go to that church either!
Okay. I am going to go enjoy my Sunday afternoon now. I hope you all do too.

11 comments:

Ed G. said...

I wish for you the most wonderful of afternoons - sounds like you've got all the lovely pieces.

Blessings and aloha...

Mike Golch said...

Sounds like you had a good day.
,despite the weather.I hate football as well.especially when my shows end up not being shown.

Mary Christine said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE football. I just like sleeping to games I don't care about. I can't sleep if there is a game I do care about on.

Lou said...

I wish "someone" would knit me something warm for winter.

Just sayin' :)

Scott W said...

The human mind is astonishing. That people figured out how to take some yarn and flick some sticks and come up with a garment with cabled rows, designs that are three dimensional. It floors me.

Then there is football. I don't understand it at all. It seems so medieval to me, crashing into each other.

~Christina~ said...

I want to learn to both knit and cook healthy! Your stripe sweater looks adorable, and its probably great therapy too!

Willa said...

What a lovely day! I bet the chicken will taste delicious. I wish I had patience for knitting...
How nice that you ran into that lady at your church!

dAAve said...

this, that and the other

Pammie said...

You are an artist with a mixed media of poultry, yarn and spirit.

Scott M. Frey said...

a stitch in time indeed!

Syd said...

Thanks for all the photos and the update of the day, MC. I think that dinner sounded great.