Wednesday, October 28, 2009

New Shovel


Yesterday I stopped at Home Depot on the way home and bought a new snow shovel. It is supposed to be ergonomic. When I moved into this house a little over eight years ago, I was thrilled to purchase things like a big broom, rake, snow shovel, etc. My snow shovel has been worked to death over these years. The handle fell off last year. Though I repaired it at the time, I decided yesterday that I really could "splurge" and get a new shovel.

The thing that amazed me was the response of people as I walked through the store and parking lot with this shovel. Maybe it was the incongruity of my fabulous new sweater and slacks and 4 inch heels - and a big yellow shovel. But it amazed me to see the smiles on faces as they saw me, and I had plenty of conversations with strangers about the upcoming snowstorm and the merits of ergonomic snow shovels.

I have already been outside shoveling snow in the dark this morning. There is enough snow that there are schools closed. I am leaving work early for a dental appointment, and even if I am not going to the dentist, I am leaving work early.

A sponsee and I have a standing appointment on Wednesday evening, but we agreed yesterday that if there is a lot of snow she won't make it here.

I have a lovely fantasy of sitting on the sofa knitting through the afternoon and early evening as the snow falls outside. We shall see...

11 comments:

Scott W said...

Plus, it's YELLOW!

dAAve said...

I've never touched a snow shovel, but I do have a sponsee meeting tonight.

Syd said...

I would have done a double take with you and your shovel--I'm sure of it.

Annsterw said...

Ohhhhh Yawsa!!!!!! Do not even want to think about snow yet and you are shoveling already!?!??!? I guess we are next...LOL

Mary LA said...

A lovely sober woman calling a spade a big yellow ergonomic snow spade! That does make me smile.

Ed G. said...

I hope you truly enjoy your day - however it unfolds.

Blessings and aloha...

Gin said...

Adorable snow shovel...that's one thing I'll never have to buy!

Annette said...

I hope your fantasy comes true! I always laugh at how grown up I have become...I love buying new yard tools! The sign of a true homeowner.

GG said...

I bought a snow shovel this past Sunday and had a similar reaction as I carried it through the store to the checkout, even if I wasn't quite as spiffed-out. People seemed to think that I knew something they didn't; there was quite a bit of conversation about snow and smiles as I shopped the aisles of K-Mart lugging my snow shovel. I bought the shovel on Sunday because I was there and it was on sale -- that's all I know. My snow shovel has a yellow ergonomic handle -- my 1st very own snow shovel! Now I'm hoping that I won't have to use it too often. Happy shoveling. Sorry to hear you have snow so soon. Usually a storm in the West means that it'll be heading East and Connecticut will soon have shovelable snow.

Lou said...

Think spring...

Enchanted Oak said...

You made me smile with your tale and I didn't even see you with your shovel. It's a wonderful 68 degrees here in central coastal CA, and now I'm grateful instead of slightly chilled. Thanks!