Thursday, October 15, 2009

Running short of sorts

I didn't sleep much last night. I decided to get up and go to the gym and get in the pool. Who knew that there would be so many people swimming in the middle of the night? Well, I should know by now because I have had this experience before. But it surprises me every time.

When I got out of the pool, I went to the shower, and noticed that in the women's locker room, there were eight showers and three hooks for towels. There was absolutely no other place to hang a towel than those three hooks, and they were all occupied. I stood and tried to find a way to throw my towel over the top of the shower and it wouldn't work. I pondered placing it on the wet floor, but ix-nayed that idea. Finally a woman came along and took her towel off a hook and I was able to put my towel on the hook and take my shower. Maybe standing around naked in a public place makes me irritable, I don't know...

I talked to the young man at the front desk as I was leaving, and he looked at me like I was nuts. Another young man came along, his name badge said "technician," and he said he would get hooks installed on the outside of all of the shower stalls. I told him that would be wonderful and thanked him. I can't believe I am the first person to ever suggest such a thing?

Then I went to the grocery store. There were at least 5 staff watching me struggle with the "U-Scan-It" machine. They had to correct all my errors. They had to tell the computer that I brought my own bag. They had to come over and read the code on the tomatoes for me. They had to come over and read the code on the grapes for me. They had to come over and read the code on the apples and pistachios for me. They had to help me with just about everything. I asked them why they just couldn't check me out. Sorry, they said, it is all self-serve until 7 a.m. Well, I said, I won't be back to this store unless it is after 7 a.m. then because I am skilled at many things, but checking groceries isn't one of them.

I don't think I am going to like living in this brave new world we are creating. I really don't.

One day at a time, I will deal with what I have to deal with today....

So, today there is a beautiful sunrise, so I stopped and sat down in the dirt on a nearby mountainside and took photos. I like the one I posted here best. It is my city in the distance... a couple of little buildings peaking out are all you can see of it, between the yucca and the sage. Now, that is the proportion of things as I would like it.

And that is the way I shall choose to see it today. Sober. Care to join me?

11 comments:

Syd said...

Interesting about the scanner at the grocery. I have to say that I gravitate to those things even when the check out line with a person is free. I find it interesting to be able to DIY. I guess that I am a geek at heart.
Have a great day MC.

Ed G. said...

I sometimes am convinced that that I'm not supposed to be of this world...

...oh, yeah...

Blessings and aloha...

dAAve said...

Did you notice if there were any hooks to hang a towel on near the "U-Scan-It" machine?
Just curious.

diane d said...

Beautiful picture! I love sitting in the dirt taking pictures of sunrises, too!

peet said...

I take the challenge of
sobriety over the challenge
of living as a drunk.

Pete.

Gin said...

I always have problems with that self check-out line too. I always screw something up and then a light starts flashing while I stand there like an idiot holding my bag of potatoes (or whatever) waiting for someone to come help. I'll take the old-fashioned way thank you very much.

Pammie said...

maybe women bring those white plastic suction cup hook things ya see on TV.
I don't much care for a lot of the new stuff either. I spend a lot of time on the devices that are meant to save us time.

Unknown said...

I think whoever thought up those self-checkouts was a darwinist...::sigh::

Namaste

garden-variety drunk said...

this morning was a gorgeous sunrise over here as well. brilliant pinks and oranges after the storm.

bummer about the gym hooks. my gym may have gotten your shipment of hooks as there are 4 per shower; no idea how you could have that much stuff to hang.

Scott W said...

I love the new technology. It fascinates me that the human mind can invent this stuff and I wonder what will come next.

Some days I still step my foot into the debate lounge, but I usually back out quickly.

Enchanted Oak said...

I loved the cloud layer in your photo, thick and dark, hovering there. The new technology is not designed to save US time but to save THEM from hiring enough customer-service rep. I spent two hours on the phone today trying to get a charge for identity-theft protection off my charge card. They had just decided to charge me for it and made me wait in phone-waiting hell to talk to a human being, who graciously removed the service and the charge. It was nothing but a scam. My program has taught me that restraint of tongue is always wise, and it's good to be kind to underlings, and I was grateful that I didn't go insane.
Hope you have a better day tomorrow.
Chris Alba