Thursday, October 01, 2009

Traveling Today

I am traveling to another city for an all day meeting today. I am doing something entirely different for me. I will report on how it works. My first thought when I heard that I had to attend this meeting was "I will make up some reason so that I can take my own car and not have to sit in a car with the rest of the people." That is what I normally do. I don't normally want to spend that many hours with my boss, and be trapped in a car with co-workers.

Then I saw the map to the place we are going, it looked confusing, and I remembered Saturday night, being hopelessly lost within 5 miles of my own home. I checked out the Costco website for a Garmin - which I have always wanted. I have one for my wrist, but I want one for my car!

But I stopped in my tracks and thought - what in God's name am I doing?
  • "making up something" otherwise known as lying - don't need to do that
  • striking out on my own - rowing my own boat - going my own way - usually not the best idea
  • spending money I do not need to spend to do this - something else that is not a good idea.
So I walked down to my boss' office and asked him if I could still catch a ride with them. I also asked if they would mind if I knit while someone else drives! How cool is that!

You really would think that I would have learned by now to default to good behavior instead of selfish behavior... but frequently this is not the case. I still get another chance today to get it "right" though if I stay sober. And I plan to do just that, and hope you all will too!

11 comments:

Scott W said...

Going with the flow can be a good thing!

Lou said...

I meant to leave a comment before about getting lost. I had a similar incident not long ago. It scared me, I started thinking I was getting Alzheimer, I would have to quit driving at night..all kinds of sad thoughts. I got panicked, and had to tell myself to get a grip and pay attention to where I was. My mind took that initial panic, and just ran with it. Once I calmed down, I was fine.
Just wanted you to know..you're not alone.

Mike Golch said...

good for you.thanks for the lession that you gave me today.

Syd said...

I can't even read when I'm riding in a car much less think about doing something like knitting. I get car sick easily but not sea sick. Strange.

Unknown said...

Hi Thanks so much for your blog and thank you for sharing your story. I was wondering if you had heard of eudonic pleasures and if you have found that they help the need for alcohol, I was reading about it on emotional brain training news and I am trying to figure out if it works. Thanks for your help!

Ed G. said...

I also prefer the independence of my own car (will always drive if possible) but am trying to learn to show up different when I'm supposed to...

Good for you...

Blessings and aloha...

Enchanted Oak said...

Hallelujah for your great discovery. Good for you. Fascinating that we never stop growing.

Anonymous :) said...

I wonder if anyone wants to spend a day trapped with their boss and coworkers. I sure wouldn't.

Pammie said...

knitting needles are good tool for poking people ya know.
I hope you enjoyed the ride!

Di-Git said...

Sounds like you are stretching your comfort zone..
this can be good for looking into unknown places

Anonymous said...

i always always always drive myself for now obviously selfish reasons. it makes me anxious to get in backseat or passenger seat. loss of control i think.

thanks for thoughts. wanted to show you a video of a woman named Nicole who is in recovery and trying to go with the flow. her story became a finalist in a vote to become a commercial for mutual of omaha, aha moments campaign.

http://www.ahamoment.com/pg/moments/view/6628

we'd like to see a person working through recovery become one of these moments. if it inspires that would be great.

anyway, take a look please and if you like vote, and if you really like tell friends/others in recovery.

thanks,

cam
cam@ahamoment.com